Thread: Inexpensive Telephoto Lens Question

Inexpensive Telephoto Lens Question

Are there any decent telephoto lenses available that are under $500.00? I'm looking for one that I could use to take pictures of planes flying at cruising altitude. I'm not looking for Airliner.net or Jetphoto quality,just something that would let me see what the type and airline of a plane is.

Doug

Program Coordinator

Re: Inexpensive Telephoto Lens Question

Probably not for what you want to do, though if you go film it's fairly easy to pick up a super telephoto for not that much.

Tamron has an inexpensive 70-300 for about $160 and you can put a 2x multiplier on that and get a 600mm with the 1.6 crop in some digital cameras.... it will be messy, but you should be able ID the aircraft....IF YOUR STEADY!

I would recommend that Canon 2x multiplier and use the trick on putting tape over some of the leads to use with other manufacturer lenses
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Firstly it would help if you tell us what equipment you're using (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.). If you're using Nikon, I would recommend the 70-300mm VR lens (it goes for a little less than $600). Unfortunately, Nikon teleconverters don't work with this lens, but a Kenko converter like a 1.4x does. The other option is save a little more, and you can get a Sigma 150-500mm with OS (there is a Canon version as well as a Nikon version). This lens goes for about $1,000.

Good lucky!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I'm using a Canon XS Rebel. I do have a Canon 75-300mm lense.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by nssd70
    Are there any decent telephoto lenses available that are under $500.00? I'm looking for one that I could use to take pictures of planes flying at cruising altitude. I'm not looking for Airliner.net or Jetphoto quality,just something that would let me see what the type and airline of a plane is.

Doug
    I got a used Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 (Canon mount) from Adorama for around $400. No image stabilization and a bit soft once you get above 300mm, but not bad for the price.

Check the used sections on the B&H and Adorama websites.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I also got a couple of decent lenses from eBay - a 100-400mm which is also not an IS and worked very well for me for quite a while.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

I picked up the Tokina 80-400 from Adorama for around $550. Decent lens, comparable to the Nikon 80-400 IMO.

-Tad