Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luger Killed in Olympics Practice

Luger Killed in Olympics Practice

An Olympic luger representing the former Soviet state of Georgia was killed during a practice run on the Winter Olympics course near Vancouver this afternoon. Near the end of the run he flew off his sled and slammed into a steel beam, I'm guessing at around 70-80mph.

[edit: youtube took the video down]

Training has been suspended, would not be surprised if the luge events were to be canceled completely. Sounds like folks have been having a lot of problems with this track.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Luger Killed in Olympics Practice

it is said to be a 100mph+ track.... Lots of people were saying it is the fastest most dangerous track. Video was very bad, looked like he did not decelerate until impact with the pillar. Very sad
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Saw the video as well. Very violent impact. Hopefully, his neck snapped upon impact and he was spared from any suffering. Very sad indeed.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Definite instant-death. Very sad.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I just saw a clip. WOW! There is no way it wasnt instantanious. RIP
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Very sad...on opening day.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

In the link below is a clip of the actual accident and photo's post accident. I wan you it is VERY graphic. RIP

www.huffingtonpost.com/.../nodar-kumari ... 60474.html :cry: :(
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    In the link below is a clip of the actual accident and photo's post accident. I wan you it is VERY graphic. RIP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../nodar ... 60474.html :cry: :(

Based on those stills, how was there any doubt that this guy wasn't killed? Profuse bleeding from the nose/mouth & eyes wide open with fixed puplils. Come on...

Very sad.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Well it looks like they have a good EMS system in place for the events including 4 medevac helicopters.

http://www.firehouse.com/topics/top-hea ... ames-begin

Olympic officials say the track is fine, blame the dead luger for the accident: http://vancouver2010.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... sed-crash/

Even though they think the track is great, they're raising the wall in the turn where the crash occurred, and men will start further down the track to reduce their speed.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That is obsurd of the authorities. Hmmm....... I wonder if some of the standing officials who make decisions around there once worked for the FAA or somthing. :evil:

Also, the guy who designed the track is an architect who designs office buildings, and admits to having little knowledge of luge.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

No matter how you look at it Luge and Bobsledding are very dangerous, look at he history of the winter olympiad there has been a few deaths already. At that speed with no protection it's like horse racing you are going to average a death once a year or once every 4 years. I doubt the track had anything to do with it. Would he have lived if he was going 5 or 10 mphs slower?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Would he have lived if he was going 5 or 10 mphs slower?
    He might have lived if there were some kind of barrier to prevent hitting the steel beams.