Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The weather sucks in Seattle
    Posts
    4,899

    Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    U.S. Senator Edward Kennedy, a towering figure in the Democratic Party who took the helm of one of America's most fabled political families after two older brothers were assassinated, died at age 77, his family said.

    "Edward M. Kennedy, the husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle we loved so deeply, died late Tuesday night at home in Hyannis Port (Massachusetts)," the Kennedy family said in a statement early on Wednesday.

    One of the most influential and longest-serving senators in U.S. history -- a liberal standard-bearer who was also known as a consummate congressional dealmaker -- Kennedy had been battling brain cancer, which was diagnosed in May 2008.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090826/us_nm/us_kennedy
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually,
    run out of other people’s money.
    ” - Margaret Thatcher

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    The Cape Cod Orca finally was harpooned...what a shame. Hopefully in eternity he'll be locked in a trunk and driven off a bridge over and over again just like what he did to Mary Jo Kopechne.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The weather sucks in Seattle
    Posts
    4,899

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    The Cape Cod Orca finally was harpooned...what a shame. Hopefully in eternity he'll be locked in a trunk and driven off a bridge over and over again just like what he did to Mary Jo Kopechne.
    That is now between Senator Ed Kennedy & his maker
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually,
    run out of other people’s money.
    ” - Margaret Thatcher

  4. #4
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    I was never a fan, but it is a shame to see any American die in such a way.

    I wish John Jr. were still around. He'd be a great leader.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I was never a fan, but it is a shame to see any American die in such a way.

    I wish John Jr. were still around. He'd be a great leader.
    What's the difference between an American dying this way and let’s say a Canadian or German? I'm not sure I understand your thought process here Phil?

  6. #6
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    [quote=T-Bird76]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":3ibimdch
    I was never a fan, but it is a shame to see any American die in such a way.

    I wish John Jr. were still around. He'd be a great leader.
    What's the difference between an American dying this way and let’s say a Canadian or German? I'm not sure I understand your thought process here Phil?[/quote:3ibimdch]

    I meant American politician. Someone actively serving my needs, even if I disagree with them.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    [quote=Phil D.][quote="T-Bird76":1hz1lv2x]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":1hz1lv2x
    I was never a fan, but it is a shame to see any American die in such a way.

    I wish John Jr. were still around. He'd be a great leader.
    What's the difference between an American dying this way and let’s say a Canadian or German? I'm not sure I understand your thought process here Phil?[/quote:1hz1lv2x]

    I meant American politician. Someone actively serving my needs, even if I disagree with them.[/quote:1hz1lv2x]

    Actively serving you needs? Please Phil....what needs are those? Shall I remind you the man cheated on the Bar (got away with it), killed Mary Jo Kopechne (got away with it), and was a chronic drunk...yeah he was a Great American alright. Rather the opposite, he was disgrace to this nation and a shining example of why we need term limits. I don't hide the fact that I have ZERO sympathy over his death or how he died. I for one will not lower the flag at my house to have staff as he doesn't deserve that respect. The man took the life of someone and should have answered for it. As I said above I truly hope he spends eternity going through what he did to Mary Jo.

  8. #8
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    If you're just looking for a platform to complain about the guy, I'm not biting. I don't need to defend or explain why I feel for the guy.

    He's an American politician who died in office and regardless of what he did in life, I respect him at his time of death. You don't have to feel the same.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    If you're just looking for a platform to complain about the guy, I'm not biting. I don't need to defend or explain why I feel for the guy.

    He's an American politician who died in office and regardless of what he did in life, I respect him at his time of death. You don't have to feel the same.
    I never asked you to defend your feelings. Just open your eyes to the fact that simply because you serve in the Senate or any other Gov't office doesn't mean you automatically are given respect. There are Gov't officials that do not deserve the respect that often comes from serving, Ted is one of them.

    Your way of thinking indicates that Gov't officials are someone on a higher plain then normal citizens. Let me ask this, will you respect Timothy Mcveigh when he dies? He served this country in the U.S Military. Or are the 168 life's he took worth more then the 1 life that Kennedy took?

    I know you're well versed in U.S History and Gov't Phil so you know that it is not the design of our system to put our elected officials in a higher place then its citizens. However our culture and society will immortalize Kennedy based on material reasons..when the fact is he used his service and place in Gov't to get out of a murder charge, in the end he should have never had the chance to serve our nation.

  10. #10
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Wow.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The weather sucks in Seattle
    Posts
    4,899

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    [quote=T-Bird76]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":2g6e85ki
    If you're just looking for a platform to complain about the guy, I'm not biting. I don't need to defend or explain why I feel for the guy.

    He's an American politician who died in office and regardless of what he did in life, I respect him at his time of death. You don't have to feel the same.
    I never asked you to defend your feelings. Just open your eyes to the fact that simply because you serve in the Senate or any other Gov't office doesn't mean you automatically are given respect. There are Gov't officials that do not deserve the respect that often comes from serving, Ted is one of them.

    Your way of thinking indicates that Gov't officials are someone on a higher plain then normal citizens. Let me ask this, will you respect Timothy Mcveigh when he dies? He served this country in the U.S Military. Or are the 168 life's he took worth more then the 1 life that Kennedy took?

    I know you're well versed in U.S History and Gov't Phil so you know that it is not the design of our system to put our elected officials in a higher place then its citizens. However our culture and society will immortalize Kennedy based on material reasons..when the fact is he used his service and place in Gov't to get out of a murder charge, in the end he should have never had the chance to serve our nation.[/quote:2g6e85ki]

    Tommy

    As much as I am not a fan of Senator Kennedy, I am sticking with the time-honored tradition of not speaking ill of the dead.

    Now, if you wanted to start a thread as to why Senator Kennedy is a scumbag next week, I would certainly add my thoughts.
    The problem with socialism is that you eventually,
    run out of other people’s money.
    ” - Margaret Thatcher

  12. #12
    Senior Member moose135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,063

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Or are the 168 life's he took worth more then the 1 life that Kennedy took?
    I would think that even you could tell the difference between one death in a car accident, and 168 murders committed in a deliberate bombing...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Or are the 168 life's he took worth more then the 1 life that Kennedy took?
    I would think that even you could tell the difference between one death in a car accident, and 168 murders committed in a deliberate bombing...
    Yeah, in a car he shouldn't have been driving as he was inebriated. Oh, not to mention he waited HOURS to report anything? Gotta side with Tommy here. Sure he did some good but neither he, or any one of his siblings, were what everyone made them out to be.

    Camelot my ass.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,285

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Or are the 168 life's he took worth more then the 1 life that Kennedy took?
    I would think that even you could tell the difference between one death in a car accident, and 168 murders committed in a deliberate bombing...
    Yeah, in a car he shouldn't have been driving as he was inebriated. Oh, not to mention he waited HOURS to report anything? Gotta side with Tommy here. Sure he did some good but neither he, or any one of his siblings, were what everyone made them out to be.

    Camelot my ass.
    Wait we agree on something Kenny? Must be a full moon ;)

    Here's my point guys.... Right now in the media and the country are celebrating a man that if anyone of us had the background of being kicked out of school, booted from the military, failing the Bar, being an chronic drunk, and getting away with murder we'd be vilified in society and more than likely in jail. Can that be disputed?

    However in this case we are celebrating someone who along with his family abused their power like nothing else before and covered up someone's death. People like Al Capone and John Gotti did great things to for the cities they controlled but we don't celebrate them..we call them what they are..criminals. Btw the Kennedy family when Joe was head of the family were the largest bootleggers in New England.

    Simply because Ted was a Senator and I'm sure did positive things in his career doesn't make him a great man or a great American, lets call it spade to spade, drop the hypocrisy that's out there and label him for who he was. His fame and his families fame was built on the backs Americans that they pushed aside. Our memories as Americans tend to be very selective.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Posts
    3,027

    Re: Senator Edward Kennedy dies

    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •