Thread: Israel to Install Missile Defense on Every Airliner

Israel to Install Missile Defense on Every Airliner

Jerusalem Post:
    Cabinet okays new plane defense system
    Oct 10, 2007 13:25 | Updated Oct 10, 2007 18:22

The Security Cabinet on Wednesday approved a new Israeli-made system for the protection
    of civilian aircraft against missile attacks.

The development of the new defense system will begin at the start of 2008. The system
    will also significantly reduce the risk of infiltration into Israeli airspace by hijacked
    or unidentified aircraft.

The cabinet also approved a proposal by Transportation Minister Shaul Mofaz, according to which, before the introduction of the new technology, a budget would be allocated to fortify all civilian planes this year using existing technology that IAF aircraft are already equipped with. More...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Israel to Install Missile Defense on Every Airliner

Anyone know who the maker of the system chosen is and how much the per unit cost would be? I strongly suspect it has big sales potential outside of Israel in the future.

Re: Israel to Install Missile Defense on Every Airliner

What do they mean by this "The system will also significantly reduce the risk of infiltration into Israeli airspace by hijacked or unidentified aircraft."? I take it as a self-destruct mechanism.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.