Thread: "New York 7?"

"New York 7?"

Who is New York Seven? Heard it on JFK tower today.

I assume perhaps an NYPD helo?

I also assume it's not...

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0691225/L/[/airliners
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: "New York 7?"

Probably state police aircraft or a state owned aircraft.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

N407MR - Bell helo out of FRG. Usually does sightseeing flights around the city.
    When I worked at FRG, I used to see him takeoff every day from HGR 43.
    Being we had to monitor tower in the office, I can surely state that's him.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

why would he announce as "new york?" what's the state police use?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

It sounded like a chopper just hangin out around Queens. The JFK controller was saying to him along the lines of "If you wanna stay around here, ok, if not, you are clear to..."
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

>N407MR - Bell helo out of FRG. Usually does sightseeing flights around the city.
    When I worked at FRG, I used to see him takeoff every day from HGR 43.
    Being we had to monitor tower in the office, I can surely state that's him<

Yup. NY Helicopter out of FRG. There is a NY 8 also. Back in the day NY 7 & 8 were S-58Ts
    operated by Island/NY Helicopter (not the same company) and used for the airport shuttle
    similiar to what US Helicopter is doing now. Both are older model JetRangers.
    NYPD uses the call sign "Tower PD 12" etc while Nassau and Suffolk will use "Nassau PD 6 or
    Suffolk 3" or vice versa. All the NY State PD ships N #s end in "November Yankee" and they
    usually dont ID themselves as law enforcement ships. Same with NJ State PD who are all
    "November Juliet". With them you get a lot of "Lifeguard Five November Juliet" as they fly
    numerous air medical missions.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i've heard suffolk PD call themselves "Sugar-Pop" over the radio, but they also don't ID as law.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

The NYSP's official callsign is "Greyrider," which I've heard them use on the King Air. I've never seen or heard any of the helos, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    The NYSP's official callsign is "Greyrider," which I've heard them use on the King Air. I've never seen or heard any of the helos, though.
    The helicopters use the "greyrider" call sign as well. There's a few of them (as well as the king airs) based at ALB.

>The helicopters use the "greyrider" call sign as well. There's a few of them (as well as the king airs) based at ALB.<

Interesting. Down here in the NYC area they usually just use their N # as an identifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    >The helicopters use the "greyrider" call sign as well. There's a few of them (as well as the king airs) based at ALB.<

Interesting. Down here in the NYC area they usually just use their N # as an identifier.
    That was also the case here up until a few years ago. They used to use the reg. # N**SP or N**NY. It's only been the past few years that they started using the greyrider call sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard

I believe it works like this:
    Empty/Ferry legs - use tail number (ie: N850NY, etc.)
    Passenger legs - use Greyrider callsign.

>I believe it works like this:
    Empty/Ferry legs - use tail number (ie: N850NY, etc.)
    Passenger legs - use Greyrider callsign.[/quote]<

I've seen them land with the Gov on board and they've used the N # and not Greyrider. Maybe they
    only use that in the Albany area? And when they fly EMS do they use "Lifeguard GreyRider"?

Could this be New York helicopter callsign from the old New York Helicopter formerly New York Airways callsign of the 60's thru the 90's ?

[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/0406234/L/[/airliners[airlinerstp://www.airliners.net/open.file/1054466/L/[/airliners:100e6]

http://www.newyorkhelicopter.com/index.html

>Could this be New York helicopter callsign from the old New York Helicopter formerly New York Airways callsign of the 60's thru the 90's ? <

Actually the NY Helicopter Dauphins were used by Liberty/NY Helicopter back in the late 70s/80s. I took my brother
    for a sightseeing flight in the late 70s for his birthday and we flew in one of Dauphins. It was a nice comfortable ride.
    How this new company got to use the NY7, NY8 call sign is unknown to me. And GREAT shot of the retired Dauphin sitting in France!! Wow!!
    That NY Airways S-61 was a regular service to the airports and was not affiliated with NY/Island Helicopters. They
    were a combo of Pan Am and NY Airways. Sadly in may 1977 while idling and loading on the roof of the Pan Am building
    a landing gear buckled and the main rotors sliced to death 4 on the roof and one woman in the street. 13 others were
    injured. The copter wound up on its side.
    BTW the Pan Am building is now the Met Life Building over Grand Central station.