Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LGA Landing Pattern

LGA Landing Pattern

So I activated Passur just now (4/13/07) and set it back for 1 P.M. I noticed that traffic was landing on Rwy 31 for LGA. The approach seemed very different. They flew over Brooklyn but instead of setting up their base leg running parallel with 31 and then swinging the hard left over Shea for the downwind and final, the aircraft skimmed east of the Sound and started their base over Glen Cove and their downwind and final approach over Baldwin. They were literally side by side with JFK finals on their 31 L&R approach. Has LGA had this set up before? Is this a new approach being tried by the FAA as an experiment to ease over crowding? Am I just out of the loop?
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

This is nothing new. This is probably the LOC31 approach.

I believe they use this approach when winds are strong or visibility/ceilings are below what they can use for the Visual Approach. I think they also use this approach when aircraft are departing 31 (due to winds), to better sequence traffic in and out...

Sounds like it may have been the localizer approach to 31 (vs. the expressway visual). You'll get aircraft lining up about 10nm from the field, which places them over the Elmont/Valley Stream area and in line with the 31s at Kennedy.

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    due to the winds we were up and down 31 all day, and yes we were using the localizer 31 approach for most of that time.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

We had winds sustained at 20 gusting to 40 a few times last evening. Pretty impressive. The Port put out an alert on all airlines to secure all items not in use.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    We i saw that, it was unusual, it looked like a wasting time flight pattern
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

LOC 31 is not that unusual...it's used quite frequently. LGA actually used one of its most infrequently utilized approaches just this past Sunday during the storm, when they were using the ILS DME 13 approach.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

What I thought was interesting was this past Tuesday evening - I was driving into Manhattan around 5:30 - 6pm, and saw LGA traffic heading eastbound over the LIE. Called up Mr. ATIS-man, and discovered they were flying the ILS Rwy 4, circle to land Rwy 31. I didn't think airliners did "circle to land" approaches. Hell, I've done a few in the T-38 for training, but it's got to be "interesting" flying one in a 767 with low ceilings, gusty winds and a relatively short runway!

BTW, my T-38 instructor always said about circling approaches "If you can't count the legs on the cows, you're too high" :shock:

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Here in Washington, Dulles will do an ILS 1R, circle 30 approach with gusty NW winds, but it's a relatively wide turn onto a 10500' runway. It happens, oh, every two months or so, and I'm sure Omar would be more than happy to provide a link to the spectcular pictures he shot one day while it was going on.

Only once, though, with very, VERY strong winds, have I seen all traffic at DCA fly an ILS 1, circle 33, where you have to turn right, and then a very steep left, and hope you stop before the end of the 5204' runway. Lots of arrivals slamming down on the numbers and then popping the "oh, s#!t" reverse thrust that day.

The only landing I've ever had at LGA was an ILS 13 to 300' in an Air Canada DC-9.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Only once, though, with very, VERY strong winds, have I seen all traffic at DCA fly an ILS 1, circle 33, where you have to turn right, and then a very steep left, and hope you stop before the end of the 5204' runway. Lots of arrivals slamming down on the numbers and then popping the "oh, s#!t" reverse thrust that day.

sounds like fun! count me in...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Looks like Mrs. Bush is in town, callsign "Exceutive one-foxtrot" a C40 (737-BBJ) landed at 3pm Monday 4.23.07

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R
    Looks like Mrs. Bush is in town, callsign "Exceutive one-foxtrot" a C40 (737-BBJ) landed at 3pm Monday 4.23.07
    Are you sure it was a C40 and not a regular BBJ? "Executive" is used when the President is flying in civil aircraft. The normal C40 is an Air Force bird and would be given the call sign "Air Force One". Could also be the first lady coming to town who would get the call sign "Executive."

Hi Tommy,
    Definitely the C40 , it was in full 89th colors. I didnt have any batteries charged in the camera. It's parked at the MAT now

Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R
    Hi Tommy,
    Definitely the C40 , it was in full 89th colors. I didnt have any batteries charged in the camera. It's parked at the MAT now

Darrell
    Prob the President's family then.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    The callsign for a member of the President's family is Executive One Foxtrot. It SBSed earlier as 01-0041.