Thread: American's Trijets.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

American's Trijets.

It seems that AA has had a history of trying lots of different aircraft.

Regarding their trijets, (too bad they did not have the L1011)
    I know they have the 727 and DC10, but didnt they have the MD11 for a short while? How many of those did they have? Was the MD11 their successor to the DC10?

Also, I read recently something regarding the....MD10? Was that a desigation for a short while for the MD11?

Thanks. Just digging up some history and trying to put it together.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

American was one of the reason's behind the L1011 but as we know they went with the DC-10.

Mario, Yes, AA did operate the MD11, into JFK as well. As for the MD10, that is the designation now for any old DC10 that has had the avionics upgrade. Fedex technically operates: DC10F's. MD10F's and the MD11F.

I do remember AA MD-11s at JFK.

AA was not fond of them towards the end. Crandall or one of the execs was claimed to have muttered the MD-11s should've been painted blue (the colores of AA's ground equip) because they has so many issues...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

MD-11s

American flew MD-11's beginning in late 1991, and although I am not sure exactly when they got rid of them, it was about 5 years ago if memory serves.

The MD-11 was a poor performer-specific fuel consumption was always more than planned, and it had range shortfalls. I believe that was the main reason for their going.

I flew on the MD-11 from NRT-SEA in 1991, before it was fully certified for low visibility landings--therefore we held near SEA for about an hour before being able to land. I flew the MD-11 again in 1994 JFK-DFW and back, when it was on a couple of domestic runs (probably to get to DFW for maintenance).

The MD-11 might have been the only aircraft AA disliked almost as much as they hated the 747.
    It's the fares, stupid

American got rid of their MD-11's shortly after 9/11 due to the obvious problems of the times and the arrival of more 777-200s.

I was lucky enough to fly An American MD-11 to LHR from JFK back in 1993.