PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Landing and Takeoff Speeds

shamrock838
2007-05-22, 12:03 AM
Greetings,

This question came to mind recently when spotting aircraft arrivals to LGA runway 4 from Plane View Park.

Does the FAA regulate landing ... and takeoff ... speeds or are they dictated by the aerodynamics of the aircraft themselves?

Those arrivals at LGA 4 seemed to be pretty uniform to my untrained eye. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

nwafan20
2007-05-22, 12:22 AM
Well, normally ATC will either advise a speed due to traffic, or you will use the standard landing speeds of the aircraft.

shamrock838
2007-05-22, 12:36 AM
Well, normally ATC will either advise a speed due to traffic, or you will use the standard landing speeds of the aircraft.

Are you saying that each aircraft type can a different landing speed?

What might some of these be ... so I have some idea in this matter? Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

hiss srq
2007-05-22, 12:39 AM
Ultimately it is strict dictation based on aerodynamic capibilities but ATC in certain cases can issue requests like maintail 170 till .5 DME than normal approach speeds. It is ultimately though it is what the airplane can do based on location etc. I have more than once flown a C172 into MIA and kept her right up at redline untill over the numbers for the heavy jet traffic behind me when I was playing around with time building down in Florida.

nwafan20
2007-05-22, 01:11 AM

Are you saying that each aircraft type can a different landing speed?

What might some of these be ... so I have some idea in this matter? Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

Well, yeah they have different speeds. You can't expect a Cessna 152 to go the same approach speed as a 747.

As for the exact speed, I'm not really the one to ask, sorry.

PHL Approach
2007-05-22, 01:16 AM
ATC can only give a particular speed to the Outer Marker. After that it is pilots discretion, which they usually just have their VREF speeds which is decided by the aircraft or pilot.

HPNPilot1200
2007-05-22, 06:15 AM
ATC can only give a particular speed to the Outer Marker. After that it is pilots discretion, which they usually just have their VREF speeds which is decided by the aircraft or pilot.

Or if no outermarker exists, outside the final approach fix or 5 DME from the runway (whichever is closer). IOW: ATC cannot technically issue a speed restriction inside the FAF or OM, because approach speeds (Vref) are determined by various aerodynamic factors and should be slowed to around the OM/5 DME to maintain a stabilized approach.

cancidas
2007-05-22, 10:16 PM
Greetings,

This question came to mind recently when spotting aircraft arrivals to LGA runway 4 from Plane View Park.

Does the FAA regulate landing ... and takeoff ... speeds or are they dictated by the aerodynamics of the aircraft themselves?

Those arrivals at LGA 4 seemed to be pretty uniform to my untrained eye. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

the speeds at which an airplane will rotate, take off and land are determined by a, the airplane's weight and engine performance and b, the atmospheric conditions (ie. air temp and press.) the fact that LGA arrivals look to be uniform is that most jets have very similiar approach speeds. the props will be slower, but there will be greater spacing between them and following a/c to allow for that.