Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japense Earthquake/Tsunami

Japense Earthquake/Tsunami

An 8.9 earthquake 231 mile away from Tokyo rocked the place. 8.9 is serious, worse than Haiti (although a better-prepared nation for it).

The videos I'm seeing on TV are horrible. Towns being washed away, buildings that are on fire while also floating in the tsunami. Right now I'm watching it spread still....floating fires as untouched houses just start to move as the flow hits it, like it wasn't even attached to the ground. One city that was swept away was 60 miles inland!

Right now I'm waiting for the wave that's supposed to hit Hawaii at around 8am EST, and see if California.

I've thankfully just learned that my friends in Japan are ok.

My prayers to the Japanese people.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

watching the airport under water is unreal! They had video of the wave washing down the runway ans pas the gates. Very sad to see such devastation. My prayers are too with the Japanese people.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I'm watching as well.......the devastation is unbelievable. My prayers go out to the people of Japan.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I have been watching news clips on my computer at work this morning morethan I have been doing my actual work. What I am watching is just unbelievable. I have never seen such devastation in my life. My thoughts too go out to all those unfortunate souls.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Been keeping up with the status of Narita/Haneda myself as I found out at around midnight a friend of mine was diverted to Yokota AFB on DL 295. Guess it took them 5 hours to get deplaned and were put up in a gym of some sort on the base last night. He wasn't there for the quake and will probably be coming right home since Tokyo is shut down at this time and his business trip takes a back seat to this. Funnny thing with friends on Facebook is they can't believe that DL would keep him on the plane for 5 hours and I am sitting here chuckling at their comments. I don't see how Yokota AFB would have a customs post to clear them from the plane nor the ability to handle the numerous flights that diverted there. Latest report was that Narita/Haneda might be reopening at 6am local.

Also saw that visitors to Disneyland Japan were stuck in the park. Up to 69,000 people were preparing for a couple days in the park since the parking lot had been flooded and the tram out of the park was seriously damaged. Amazing.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those people over there for sure!

-Tad

This is probably going to turn out to be one of if not the worst disasters for man kind in our generations...... Most of a nearly first world nation is destroyed.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Uh-oh, I can't access video from work but based on the comments above I'm not sure I want to see it. The pictures are bad enough.

What a terrible tragedy. I hope the get the help they need to get through this.

And of course, not a word of it on CBS2News or other major channels... Charlie Sheen is way more important

I'm always appalled by the way the US brings news of the world to its citizens... Thankfully, there's CNN (or the Net).

Prayers to the People of Japan, from Kobe to Osaka.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Jesus the images are just awful. I can't believe the sheer devastation. My prayers are with them.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Watching the tsumami rush through the countryside is one of the scariest things I have ever viewed!! And totally fascinating.
    The media is reporting that helicopters will be INVALUABLE in the relief effort in the main section where the 8.9 hit. And Japan is a very pro-helicopter country so they have lots of
    assests miltary and civilan.
    Also this is the first Digital Disaster with amazing images caught in an amazing variety of video cameras and people using social media to stay in touch, report and call for help.
    Many of those incredible pictures are being photographed from Japanese News helicopters. And this is cool, unlike American stations that use small to medium helicopters for their
    ENG operations, the Japanese go for the big metal using Sikorsky S-76s, Bell 430s with skids and in the case of TV Ashai a Eurocopter Dauphin. Check out this very well filmed video
    of their ENG Dauphin taking off. Its like a flying TV control room.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7dup...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by sporky View Post
    I don't see how Yokota AFB would have a customs post to clear them from the plane nor the ability to handle the numerous flights that diverted there. Latest report was that Narita/Haneda might be reopening at 6am local.
    Wasnt a 2nd military base used to land commercial flights? I would guess planes would be low on fuel especially long distance flights so I'd be happy to land anywhere.
    Scary thing now is the emergency going on at a nuclear plant outside Toyko. Reportedly it is leaking radiation and they are having difficulty cooling the core. Not good.

I can;t get away from CNN... ! I am totally shocked. The fact that they claim UP TO 1000 dead seems to me that they were superbly prepared. My hopes are for less than 1 fatality!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

It is now being reported that one of the affected nuclear plants in Japan has exploded....
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    It is now being reported that one of the affected nuclear plants in Japan has exploded....
    Yes, true and not good.

I woke up this morning hoping to learn that they had contained the rising temps at the nuke plant. Instead there has been an explosion and a leak. They need to get all the people out of there, because I can't see this having a good ending anymore.

God help them.