Thread: Salinas 2007

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Salinas 2007

i got to spend a few days working out west at the KSNS airshow like i do every year. i didn't shoot much of it this year because i was working and everything i saw from the north ramp was backlit. here are a few that i did take:

my rental car. thank god for the corporate account, i put 600 miles on this baby in 3 days.

the 2007 USN Blue Angels!

this was THE LAST Fat Albert JATO takeoff. the bottles are no longer available. there was abxolutely NO light at this point because it was the friday night show. if the wx wasn't overcast then maybe this might have come out better. still, i have a pic of history!

this wasn't part of the show. CALSTAR was spooling up to repond to something. they were got for a few hour, and the pilot performed a high-speed pass down the runway at about 15 feet when they came home.

team Oracle took members of the USN Blue Angels ground support team up for a 40-or-so minute aerobatic flight during the weekend. this was the last of such flights, departing just as the sun began to set on sunday afternoon.

Mr. Sean D. Tucker himself departing for a photoflight.

the Oracle Challenger safely tucked away in Sean's hangar at the end of yet another sucessful weekend airshow. a few more weeks and she'll get a complete rebuild to be ready for next year.

friday night after Fat Albert landed we were treated to a small fireworks show. this was also my very first try at shooting fireworks and i don't think i did too bad. these are all low quality verisons of the full files.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: Salinas 2007

Nice shots of the fireworks.
    That shot of the Blue Angel Diamond, was that a media flight? Since it looks like one of the people in the slot plane is in red.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

that's one of the canadian snowbird's pilots in the rear seat on the #4 jet. they got to take rides throughout the weekend. the saturday and sunday shows had two two-seat airplanes flying.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt, great shots of both the airplanes and the fireworks ! And that Mustang sure must have beat the Impala's I know your so fond of. Really sad news about the JATO. I was speaking to a female crew member of the C-130 at Kids Day and asked if they might be doing a JATO Takeoff on departure and she said the bottles where empty because if full they would be a haz-mat so they don't use in these sitiuations.

Cheers

LGA777

Why would they need a has mat crew is if they use the JATOs?
    Really bad chemicals?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

the bottles were designed to get C-130 out of short vietnamese airfields. they really don't need them in today's day and age. Fat Albert may be the only operational aircraft today that even uses the things.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    the bottles were designed to get C-130 out of short vietnamese airfields. they really don't need them in today's day and age. Fat Albert may be the only operational aircraft today that even uses the things.
    The LC-130s of the NYANG - the ski equipped aircraft that were at Floyd Bennett & LGA - still use them. If the ice is a little soft, it causes greater drag, and it's tough to get up to takeoff speed. The bottles are used for a little extra push to get up to T/O speed.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    The LC-130s of the NYANG - the ski equipped aircraft that were at Floyd Bennett & LGA - still use them. If the ice is a little soft, it causes greater drag, and it's tough to get up to takeoff speed. The bottles are used for a little extra push to get up to T/O speed.
    will they do the steep climb like fat albert or just a regular climb out?

Matt, well done. Excellent stuff there. Well done on the fireworks shots too bud! :borat: :borat: Too bad we missed Rotorfest this year though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"