Thread: Some Oldies

Some Oldies

As I've been threatening to do for a while, I got myself a scanner today that can scan 35mm slides, and I've spent the last few hours playing with it. The first batch I came across were from my Air Force days, some that I shot during a 3 week TDY (Temporary Duty) trip to RAF Mildenhall in April 1987.

On the way over, we flew out of Pease AFB, and, along with a KC-10, dragged a gaggle of F-4Es over.

Here's my aircraft commander, Capt. Ray Parrish. He's flying for American Airlines these days. I owe him an e-mail, I'll have to pass these along:

Boom Operator Sgt. Danny South handling some paperwork along the way:

Once we got to Mildenhall, we flew several missions refueling Luftwaffe Tornados. This was back in the Cold War days, while Germany was still East and West - on a couple of these Tornado missions, we were working over the "buffer zone", a 10-mile stretch on our side of the border with East Germany. The Tornados use a probe and drouge system, so we had a drouge attachment on the end of the boom:

On final approach to RAF Mildenhall on a gloomy day:

We got to spend one weekend in London, here are a few shots:

These were shot with a Yashica SLR, Kodak slide film (probably Ektachrome 400ASA). I still have to play with the scanner some, figure out the "dust and scratch" elimation software, and then I have another 25 years worth of slides to go through...it's going to be a long night :D

Just a few more before I call it a night...here are some shots of some F-4Ds we were refueling one day. Date on the slide says Jan-86.

Check out the WSO in the back seat watching the boom!

WOW Some great stuff there John! I hope you have more to share.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    simply, WOW. nice shots!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Love it Moose. When you wake up post more!

Wow, nice shots! Some of them were actually very good quality for film!
    nwa FOREVER!