Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach - May 27th and 28th

Show seems kinda light on performers this year? I miss the old days when we had at least a dozen different teams come in for the show :(

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    Show seems kinda light on performers this year? I miss the old days when we had at least a dozen different teams come in for the show :(
    Yeah, sadly, the good old days of Air Shows getting many military demo teams and a bunch of warbirds
    too are pretty much gone forever unfortunately, except for maybe at Oshkosh and Sun N Fun!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the USMC F-35B Demo for the first time in person tearing it up and
    hovering over the Atlantic Ocean cause I've always wanted to see the Harrier Demo at Jones Beach!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Yeah, sadly, the good old days of Air Shows getting many military demo teams and a bunch of warbirds
    too are pretty much gone forever unfortunately.
    Yeah, but WHY?! We don't even get the snowbirds coming down anymore... :( I'll never forget that Jones Beach show SEVERAL years ago when we had a TON of military jets, even a B-1 Lancer! That was the best show ever! I have never seen a B2 in person, I hope we get one some day.

There was a time in the early 2000s the Thunderbirds use to come to FRG. Then (forgot what year) they switch to ISP and been there ever since. Sad we were spoiled when both Thunders AND Blues at FRG.

Looking at the latest weather forecasts, it's looking more and more that Memorial Day weekend might be a washout. Friday looks like it's going to be the only decent day. Bummer.
    Last edited by alberchico; 2023-05-21 at 10:09 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOne View Post
    There was a time in the early 2000s the Thunderbirds use to come to FRG. Then (forgot what year) they switch to ISP and been there ever since. Sad we were spoiled when both Thunders AND Blues at FRG.
    Yes, they did! Their last show where they used FRG was 2009, if I'm not mistaken. More discouraging is that while they are over at ISP, they keep their distance from the public. That's in contrast to the Blue Angels who are very engaging with the public at FRG and park their aircraft front and center for everyone to see up close.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbagel_001 View Post
    More discouraging is that while they are over at ISP, they keep their distance from the public..
    Sad, but true.

Hello everyone it's been awhile. Is there a ETA for the Thunderbird's at ISP? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    Yeah, but WHY?! We don't even get the snowbirds coming down anymore... :( I'll never forget that Jones Beach show SEVERAL years ago when we had a TON of military jets, even a B-1 Lancer! That was the best show ever! I have never seen a B2 in person, I hope we get one some day.
    I'm sure the biggest reason comes down to MONEY of course and military budgets also. Look what happened to Air Shows back in 2013 with the US Budget Sequestration
    when the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels and all the other US Military Demo teams couldn't fly at any shows that year after March 1st when the budget cuts kicked in!
    As far as the Snowbirds goes, they've had their own problems over the past 4 years with I think 3 crashes and they haven't even been able to fly a full schedule in Canada,
    since before the pandemic! Looks like their CF-18 Demo budget has been cut also cause they're only flying their Hornet in about 10 shows up in Canada only.

I wish Jones Beach could get more Miltary flybys like the B-1 too. Unfortunately, it looks like shows like the Hyundai Miami Air & Water Show this weekend have better military contacts
    than Jones Beach does cause even though that show didn't get the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds, they still have B-1, B-2, B-52, C-5, C-17, F-15 and F-16 flybys planned along
    with the F-35A and F-18 Super Hornet Demo teams also!! They're also charging about $65 a person for general admission down in Miami, and we only have to pay $10 for parking
    and we can pack as many people as we want into our cars at Jones Beach, so I guess you get what you pay for! $$

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    I wish Jones Beach could get more Miltary flybys like the B-1 too. Unfortunately, it looks like shows like the Hyundai Miami Air & Water Show this weekend have better military contacts
    than Jones Beach does cause even though that show didn't get the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds, they still have B-1, B-2, B-52, C-5, C-17, F-15 and F-16 flybys planned along
    with the F-35A and F-18 Super Hornet Demo teams also!! They're also charging about $65 a person for general admission down in Miami, and we only have to pay $10 for parking
    and we can pack as many people as we want into our cars at Jones Beach, so I guess you get what you pay for! $$
    Well, that's partly true... the airshow at Stewart Airport upstate charges for shows, but they are only marginally better than what we get at Jones. If money is the only issue, then they can charge more on that weekend to cover the expense... it will still get packed out! It's such a shame, Long Island has such rich a rich history in military aviation... now it's all gone and we get no love. Actually, in civil aviation as well... the Spirit of St Louis took off from Roosevelt Field on LI for it's historic flight. Where is it now? The Smithsonian, instead of The Cradle...

Anyone have information on arrival time on Thursday of the thunderbirds
    also does anyone know if #8 is coming in early

The TFR for Thursday is from 5:00pm to 5:45pm so I presume around those times, but things can always change, and they have been late in past years.

Yeah two years ago they didn't use the Thursday TFR. And four years ago they did their circle and arrivals on Friday morning at 9am before the practice (although the solos may have went up Thursday afternoon/evening that year). Fingers crossed for this year.

I wonder if the F-35 or the Growlers will use the Thursday TFR, I kinda want to head by the beach to see them if they do. Also any word on when the Growlers will be coming in at the Airpower Museum?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOne View Post
    Thunderbirds only used Republic in 2009, before that they used JFK.
    Glenn