Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2017 Jones Beach/Bethpage Federal Credit Union Air Show

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    You've got to remember that again this year construction at JFK was a big issue. The TAC demos and teams need the 15K and 5 miles TFR restriction and besides the TB's at 4pm, TRACON was not giving up their airspace. It was the reason that the F18 TAC Demo was scrubbed, and why the show was held from Noon to 5pm. The same thing occurred in 2015. Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?
    Its my understanding that this show draws more people than most airshows. Is this correct? I cannot understand why we have such a difficult time attracting top level planes & performers. Long Island has such a proud aviation heritage and I am shocked that with our still current companies (although only a shell of what they used to be) Grumman, Lockheed, BAE etc they cant "press" to have some of their metal flying up here.

Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?
    We had an F-35 last year?! How do I not remember seeing this?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    Its my understanding that this show draws more people than most airshows. Is this correct? I cannot understand why we have such a difficult time attracting top level planes & performers. Long Island has such a proud aviation heritage and I am shocked that with our still current companies (although only a shell of what they used to be) Grumman, Lockheed, BAE etc they cant "press" to have some of their metal flying up here.
    Right?!

yes we did, but it was just a heritage flight. I think it did a single pass and that was it. It actually put on a great display at FRG. Several passes and a touch and go.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    Here's a little bit of history. Back in 2003 there was a group who wanted a "New York Airshow" on LI and it was held at Calverton. It was a disaster in every respect. Apparently however, that same group had bid and won the Blue Angels for their 2004 show. That show was not going to happen, at least not at Calverton. Rather than tell the BA's to stay home, the NYS powers that be said "How about we have an airshow at Jones Beach?" The rest is history.

That first show in 2004 was pretty light. It was David Winmiller, Sean Tucker, the AAM warbirds, the F-16 Demo twice, a pair of S-3 Vikings and the Blue Angels. Bethpage FCU was a sponsor. Over the years the airshow grew and Bethpage FCU pretty much took over the show as the major if not sole sponsor. So today it sounds like they hold the purse strings and plan the show. The folks in charge seem to be taking the easy route and just pull out the same play book year after year. They may be tightening the budget too for all we know, as evidenced by the B-17 not flying in the show.

Also some of you may not know but the Bethpage FCU started out as the Grumman employees FCU. So there is a bit of history there. However, Northrup/Grumman is a shadow of its former self on LI, and other than a sanctioned company event there won't be a pressing need to get a Growler or E-2C to make a few passes. Military fly-bys since the sequestration seem to be few and far between nowadays. Budgets must be tight. Yes with the attendence we rate them, but its going to take an effort by someone to coordinate them. At AFB open houses there is some commanding officer with clout to get them, but we don't have that with Bethpage. We would need some local politicians to get involved. I have a feeling they have no interest in doing so. After all when you have the TB/BA an F-22 or F-18 why do you need more?

Are only option is to find out those in charge of planning next years show, and let it be known what we want to see. Politely ask them to change it up a bit. Although I have a feeling the like booking the local "talent".
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    We had an F-35 last year?! How do I not remember seeing this?!?!
    Yeah, it did some great low approaches at FRG all 3 days last year, here's a video I found ...

You've got to remember that again this year construction at JFK was a big issue. The TAC demos and teams need the 15K and 5 miles TFR restriction and besides the TB's at 4pm, TRACON was not giving up their airspace. It was the reason that the F18 TAC Demo was scrubbed, and why the show was held from Noon to 5pm. The same thing occurred in 2015. Last year we had a good show. 3 teams and the F-22 with HF including the F35. Who could we reach out to in order to make suggestion for the show? Does anyone have the organizers contact info?
    FYI - This is the info listed on the International Council of Air Shows (ICAS) website
    for the contact info for Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach:

Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach
    2017-05-26 - 2017-05-28 (Wantagh, NY - US)
    For more information, contact George Gorman Jr at 631-321-3403
    Organization Points of Contact:
    Mr George Gorman
    Ms Ann Marie Agostinello

https://www.airshows.aero/OrgProfile/23165

I believe its been established that the B-17 only comes in for the AAM event and not the air show. That's been the way it's been for years.
    And also mentioned was the closing of R22 of JFK and TRACON not budging for any airspace.
    Last tear I was only at the practice shop but I do remember the F-35 and the Heritage Flight doing a number of passes including a pretty cool entrance over the Water Tower.
    Look it was an off year. The year before was amazing. It happens. The alternative is having no air show at all and I don't think anyone here wants to see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I believe its been established that the B-17 only comes in for the AAM event and not the air show. That's been the way it's been for years.
    Actually, the B-17, Yankee Lady has flown in the Jones Beach Show many times, like 2012, 2014 and 2015 just to name a few years.

Here's a video from 2012 when it did the cool watermelon drop over the ocean >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Actually, the B-17, Yankee Lady has flown in the Jones Beach Show many times, like 2012, 2014 and 2015 just to name a few years.

Here's a video from 2012 when it did the cool watermelon drop over the ocean >>>

Tten I stand corrected. I probably don't remember as I usually go to the practice shows and the warbirds mostly don't fly that. And the one show I did go on a Sunday I didn't get over to the beach until after the Warbirds.
    Thanks

Yeah, F-22 wasn't there on practice day last year. I have to say though that minus other jet teams this year's show (practice day anyway as it was the only day i went) wasn't as bad as i feared. Yes i wish there was more and i didn't start going down to the beach until around 2010 as i always enjoyed the airport activity so it seems i missed some good flybys before then. I am hopeful though now seeing the A-10 back in heritage flights, maybe we'll see the demo soon. And is the f-35 doing demos or only heritage flights?
    Glenn