Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Bennet Field - H.A.R.P. - Image Heavy

Floyd Bennet Field - H.A.R.P. - Image Heavy

I was passing Floyd Bennet Field and I saw an NYPD helicopter unit training. After taking a few photos I found Brooklyn's best kept aviation secret.
    H.A.R.P. - Historical Aviation Restoration Project. There are approximately a dozen vintage aircraft in various stages of repair stuffed into Hanger B at Floyd Bennet Field.
    The building is old and leaking but the collection is amazing. The were a lot of volunteers on hand. (The exhibit is open Tues, Thus and Sat 10-3:30)

The outside of Hanger B.

Lockheed SP2 Neptune - note both the propeller and jet engine

Douglas A-4 Skyhawk

Sikorsky HH3-F Pelican

Beechcraft Model 18 - JRB Trainer

Grumman JRF-5 Goose

Lockheed Vega

Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter
    This was by far the highlight for me - They say they hope to have this fly out in a few months. I would really love to be there and see that takeoff

List of Aircraft

Nice photos, Max. I've been there many times, they have an interesting collection of aircraft, but that building is in serious need of work. The C-97 actually isn't part of their collection, it belongs to the same organization that owns the Berlin Airlift C-54, and as you mentioned, they are working to get it back in the air some time next year. In the past, they kept the C-54 in the hangar for winter maintenance, and we've caught it arriving and departing from FBF. I look forward to seeing the C-97 back in the air again.

It's an awesome place. I haven't been there in awhile, need to make another trip there. Nice shots!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

the floor looks just as wet as outside. Is the roof in that bad of shape?

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    the floor looks just as wet as outside. Is the roof in that bad of shape?
    The building was heavily damaged by Sandy and really hasn't been repaired.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Nice photos, Max. I've been there many times, they have an interesting collection of aircraft, but that building is in serious need of work. The C-97 actually isn't part of their collection, it belongs to the same organization that owns the Berlin Airlift C-54, and as you mentioned, they are working to get it back in the air some time next year. In the past, they kept the C-54 in the hangar for winter maintenance, and we've caught it arriving and departing from FBF. I look forward to seeing the C-97 back in the air again.
    Thanks.

The C-54 was not there yet for the winter, if they are still planning on coming again this year. Maybe there is a chance to get both the C-54 and C-97 flying this year at FBF
    Last edited by Max; 2014-11-26 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    The building was heavily damaged by Sandy and really hasn't been repaired.
    There are still pieces of roofing that was blown off by Sandy laying on the ground outside the building.
    According to one of the volunteers they will be fixing up the building in the near future (not sure when)
    The floor was wet, but it had not rained yesterday so I am not sure when the water was from.

The C-54 hasn't been there the past year or two, and I don't think they are bringing it back this winter. Part of the reason they are working so hard on the C-97 is that the Park Service wants them out so they can make repairs on the building. They were told they needed to be out this past Spring, then by Summer, then November, now the latest deadline is February...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The C-54 hasn't been there the past year or two, and I don't think they are bringing it back this winter. Part of the reason they are working so hard on the C-97 is that the Park Service wants them out so they can make repairs on the building. They were told they needed to be out this past Spring, then by Summer, then November, now the latest deadline is February...
    Is there any way to track the progress of that? I want to be there for that takeoff, if it ever happens.

I know the head of the group, and I'll pass along any updates I get from him. I want to be here for it too!

I mean, just look at this thing!

DSC_2694 by AirlineFlyer, on Flickr

[QUOTE=yankees368;504946]I mean, just look at this thing!

That's a great set you have on Flicker, nice to see they let you into the SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    That's a great set you have on Flicker, nice to see they let you into the SP2.
    Yea, it was a really cool tour!

Full set is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/airlin...57644904022526

I had my 7th birthday party there in 1967, my dad was in the Marine reserves, P2V Neptunes, A-4s, and a visiting F102 from California , I loved FBF !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    I had my 7th birthday party there in 1967, my dad was in the Marine reserves, P2V Neptunes, A-4s, and a visiting F102 from California , I loved FBF !!!
    now that must've been cool! makes me jealous!!

if only i still lived in NYC i'd probable get in trouble at home for spending so much time there.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.