Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ROCKET SPOTTING on Long Island

Had a surprisingly nice view of tonight's launch from work at LGA. Saw the end of the first stages burn then the igniting of the second stage and boy that thing was really moving great experience and my first view of a launch outside of Florida. VERY VERY Cool !

LGA777

I'm lovin' these VA launches!!! Luckily my Dad's boat was still in the water for another day at West Islip, so we bundled up and took a ride out to the bay. We went out to have a clear view of the southwest sky just past the lights of the Babylon pool area. JFK was on the 33's and my Dad was impressed with the lights of the arrivals all stacked up in that direction. Then all of a sudden in the midst of them a pillar of flame appears. Shortly after that it staged and we watched it flicker and arc across the sky, smoke trail and all. We caught the third stage light and I picked out the interstage adapter come off in a blob of flame. We were the only boat out there. What a great time. Next launch is the larger Antares at night in December. It's liquid fueled so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference. Probably a bright blue light like the shuttle main engines (which I also caught on those rare missions to a high inclination orbit). Great stuff!
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website