Thread: DTW McNamara Parking Structure 7/13/13

DTW McNamara Parking Structure 7/13/13

Yesterday was one of my planned "all-day" spotting trips to Detroit Metro Airport. Because it is a 2 hour drive for me, I always plan to go all day in order for it to be worth my time. Yesterday, the wind was blowing out of the northeast so the 3s and 4s were active. After a very successful morning spotting arrivals on runways 3R and 4L, including 2 Delta A330-300s, a Delta 747-400, a Skyteam livery Delta 737-800, and the Breast Cancer Awareness Delta 767-400ER. After lunch, I met up with some friends on top of the McNamara parking structure to watch aircraft departing runway 3L. Because the other departure runway, runway 4R/22L, is currently closed, every plane uses 3L/21R with the exception of some heavy jets that need a longer runway.

We were up there for a long time, having had numerous police pass us by without saying a word- one even stopped and watched with us! There were also many others up there watching to- which is uncommon. It was getting to be early evening- we had already seen many aircraft depart, including the Spirit A320 with sharklets and a Lufthansa A340, when a cop pulled up behind where we were standing. He got out and asked to see our IDs (I was with one other guy at this point- everyone else had left). At this point, it seemed pretty routine. I've had cops ID me before and they would always give me back my ID and let me carry on. But I guess this cop was having a bad day. He proceeded to lecture us on how "taking pictures of airplanes is illegal after 9/11" and so forth. Because we had already had a great day of spotting, this is a battle we chose not to fight. We waited until the officer left, shot one more departure, and left. This officer was very rude, even we tried to be friendly with him. Whatever, I know we'll be back up there again soon.

What a bunch of hog wash "taking pictures of planes is illegal after 9/11". Another cop making up his own rules.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

DeltaA330- check your PMs
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Kinda surprised you had issues at DTW, I've never had a cop be anything less than professional out there, and usually friendly. I guess someone had little man syndrome or something...

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    Kinda surprised you had issues at DTW, I've never had a cop be anything less than professional out there, and usually friendly. I guess someone had little man syndrome or something...
    Ya me too- never have had a problem until now.

I hope you were able to take down his badge number etc. That was very rude of the officer. Illegal to take pictures of airplanes since 9/11? really? geez. I had that said to me many times but dont let it go to you, because yes many cops do make up their laws including airport employees, but as for me, it dont stop me from enjoying the hobby. In fact, this sort of reminds me of what happened to me in the Bronx in Soundview about 2 months ago when a fella which he clammed he is with TSA said the same sort of thing to me. Or another example, the one time I got stopped at Planeview Park by PAPD, as the one officer was nasty and rude, also said that it is illegal to take photos of planes since 9/11. Give me a break.. ill say this unless there is an actual rule saying it's illegal, I would like to see it, otherwise, i will continue to enjoy my hobby. Thats all there is to it. But sorry for your encounter.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

You should have asked why none of the apparent multitudes of officers earlier in the day never bothered to shoo you away, and the one who stopped to watch with you, why on earth did he not recognize to enforce the "rule" against photography after 9/11. Obviously a misinformed pig.