Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Blogger Thrown off flight for taking pictures.

Travel Blogger Thrown off flight for taking pictures.

Been having a discussion on twitter about this, now bringing to the forums.

http://upgrd.com/matthew/thrown-off-...-pictures.html
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

This is the world we live in now... Welcome to the 21st century, a world of constant BS...

This is ridiculous. Good read, thanks Eric.

There has got to me more to this story.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

"I want you to understand why I was taking pictures. I hope you didn't think I was terrorist''

This guy is a journalist and he utters that line ? Seriously ?

Even in the old days there were some words that you do not say in the vicinity of an airport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf3bw8KEZ44

You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Eric, what did you and Jason do now? lol
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    There has got to me more to this story.
    I think you're absolutely right about this. As presented, this seems like a gross overreaction on the part of the flight crew (both on the flight deck and in the cabin), especially seeing that it was targeted towards a premium cabin passenger. One would think that it should take far more than what was presented here to be denied carriage.

Another thought that came to mind, is that some carriers can convene a "committee" in situations like this. Such a committee would consist of the captain, the gate agent, and uninvolved pilot from another flight, and a few others (I'm forgetting who). The purpose is to guide the captain in situations like these, and while the captain retains the final say, its designed to move the decision making process out of the airplane. I'm pretty sure that DL has such a system, I'm wondering if UA has something similar.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

All I can say is the written policy regarding photography confirms that for United Airlines, the terrorists have won. I've never seen such an outrageous policy. If followed to the letter, you'd better hope your kid doesn't pull out his Kodak Easyshare at the beginning of the family vacation. As to whether this guy's account EXACTLY represents what happened, I've learned not to read too much into he said/she said testimonials. Then again, someone leaving a comment on his blog claimed to be on the flight and saw what happened, and completely supported the blooger's account. Was that made up? Who knows.

In 2010, I was taking pictures aboard a Delta MD90 headed to MSP, from the back of the cabin looking towards the front. I snapped a few shots because I thought their configuration was very unique(it was before they reconfigured the cabin to their own standards after getting them from China Southern). Then I sat back down. About 2 minutes later, an FA came by and leaned over and asked why I was taking pictures. I simply said "I'm an aviation photographer. This is my card." She said that a passenger had asked her what I was doing. I hadn't even thought that my behavior would have triggered such a response(remember, because I don't buy into the 'this is the world we live in now' crapola). Regardless of my opinion, I apologized and told her she was right, and that I should have let her or one of the other FA's know in advance that I wanted to get some cabin shots. She was actually quite nice about it. I was left alone for the rest of the flight. Once we landed, I apologized again to her, then to the captain as well, and gave him one of my cards. I'm not sure why this gentleman's situation went so badly- maybe I got lucky, or maybe he got VERY unlucky.

Program Coordinator
    If fully true and complete, that's pretty bad on UA's part. I'd like to hear UA's side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    If fully true and complete, that's pretty bad on UA's part. I'd like to hear UA's side of the story.
    Or a non-bias eye-witness of the entire scenario...either side of this story is going to be weighted in favor of the person telling their account.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Does seem a little off that they would toss him off the flight for something like this. I know a UA FA. I'll ask her if she heard anything through the grapevine but to treat a elite flyer like that is stupid. My friend has flown more than this guy on UA and he takes iPhone pics of Biz and 1st class when he flies and never had an issue. Unless he caught a bad seed on a bad day and the Captain bought it just to get the flight moving.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

From the comments under the story (however truthful they may be), it seems like a few people were on the same flight, and they appear to side with the author's recollection of events.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

William is right ..... the terrorists have succeeded and created paranoia with regards to what use to be a pleasing thing ....... called photography. The second someone sees an individual point a camera at something we are a suspect. "If you see something, say something!" Everyone is seeing something to say the least. During the times that I have flown and taken pictures during the flight not one time I was asked to stop. The writer in my view used some poor choice of wording and that probably triggered the FA. Did the FA overreact, probably because of paranoia. It does sicken me that this is the world we live in now. I guess the thing to do now, is when you board a flight is to introduce yourself as a avaiation photographer (which we all are in my opinion) and ask the FA is it okay to take photo's during the flight. Providing a business card may help to get a positive response from the FA. Otherwise, put away your camera, sit back, rent some headphones, and listen to some music and enjoy the flight!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

UA's policy about photography is weird. It starts by saying you can't shoot other pax or crew. Then equipment. Then unless you have permission from UA can't shoot at all? Confusing.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    UA's policy about photography is weird. It starts by saying you can't shoot other pax or crew. Then equipment. Then unless you have permission from UA can't shoot at all? Confusing.
    United's response to Kris V.'s post on their Facebook wall (http://www.facebook.com/unitedairlines) really clarifies it (not):

We implemented a photography policy several years ago and it published in our inflight magazine. We do allow photography but for reasons of service and security, our crew may need to restrict photography onboard and this policy supports their ability to do so.

Also, we have read the blog post and reached out to the customer to fully understand his perspective of what happened onboard. ^SQ
    We do allow photography...but...not when a FA is having a bad day or wants to make up some fake FAA rule.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    United's response to Kris V.'s post on their Facebook wall (http://www.facebook.com/unitedairlines) really clarifies it (not):

We do allow photography...but...not when a FA is having a bad day or wants to make up some fake FAA rule.
    I browed the page and loved the pic of the wing from a passenger. Pretty ironic that he was allowed to take pics in the cabin. What a joke.