Thread: In-Forum Sponsored Advertisements

In-Forum Sponsored Advertisements

I personally think this is a bit intrusive.

Program Coordinator
    Agreed.

I normally use the "View Active Topics" button, and it doesn't show up in that list. If I go to the photography forum, I see it, marked as Unread. I almost didn't know what you were referring to Mark.

Every now and again we like to try some new things to see if it is both successful monetarily for the site, and how it's responded to by members and visitors. This is something we are currently toying with. Sorry we didn't give you a heads up!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I too always do the 'view active topics' which explains why I never saw that

Mark, really? Is it [that] intrusive? I would treat it as any other post that does not interest me, skip right over it. This site is [free] enough for you to put up with a few ads I think :-) no?

Anyway, I couldn't even see it until I actually looked for it... methinks it isn't as intrusive as most sites...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I first noticed them last week while I was perusing through old posts in the photography forum. It caught my eye, being marked red as an unread item in a series of gray unread items. It was pretty obvious that it was a sponsored thread, and I personally felt that it was only slightly intrusive as the red caught my eye and made me stop scanning the page. Of course the point of a good advertisement is to catch your eye so that you look at it.

Speaking for myself, I have always said that this site is an amazing resource and there is absolutely no cost unless a user decides to pony up some cash to support it by buying a T-shirt. I think ads are a tolerable way for the site to generate some cash. If they are bringing in a worthwhile stream of cash, I say keep them as long as they stay relatively unobtrusive. Now if there is an ad every other thread, then that is getting to be too much, but one or two here and there I don't see a problem with.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

I'd also like to say that people going out of their way to give HONEST opinions is the only way that we can truly serve you. So good or bad...thank you. We are still seeing if the forum thread ads are worth it financially, and also look for your opinions/reactions. Jury's still out.

As for the store, the best service is does is helping you sport your hobby with pride and promote the site to others. The store is NOT a place where the costs of the site are covered. Advertisements are 95% of our revenue.

I'd also like to point out that Matt and I do not "profit" and take no salary or payment from NYCA. It all goes back into the site, paying programmers, maintenance costs, investments on future features and some events.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].