Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newark Airport Day - this Saturday!

Great stuff you got there John! Some sweet stuff, and that Saudi Kingdom 744 is awesome!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Thanks for posting. I also love that Saudia B744. It must be parked for the GA Meeting so it was a rare opportunity like we saw Trumps's private jet at 2011 LGA Kid's Day. The retro Continental is great as well.I am curious if there were lines to get in and if camera bags and IDs were checked. Were the shuttle bus lines long as well? At LGA, we just walked-in after a short wait for a bus. I was hesitant to go because somebody posted that no cameras allowed and that TSA gave security checks which would slow lines down to a trickle. I also felt the weather was threatening. Plus, I had transportation concerns having to go by public transportation from South Brooklyn and the MTA is always doing track work on weekends and re-routing trains. I will put this on my calendar for the last Sat. in Sept. in 2013. Did everybody have to leave at 3 PM as posted? That's kind of early. Glad everybody had fun. Hope to see you next time.

Speedbird1,

1) I got to the parking garage at 9:30, and there were 3 buses waiting to take people to the event, no waiting there.

2) Yes there was a TSA screening, but it was nothing like going on a flight. Take everything out of your pocket, and get wanded. No more stringent than going to a baseball game would be. They had 6 screeners, and the wait to get through was about 5-10 minutes. They asked me to open my camera bag, but they did not rifle through it like TSA at the terminals.

3) I don't recall anyone posting here that cameras were not allowed (I think you are referring to the LGA Runway run). As you can see from my posts, cameras were not an issue.

4) As for leaving at 3pm, the GA stuff all departed by 1:30pm, so I decided with my commute, I would leave early. I was on a bus back to parking by 2:15pm. At that point the plane pull was over and UA already took the 737 back to the terminal. The only aircraft left at the event was the 767-400. There were still kids activities going on (petting zoo, de-icing truck rides, face painting, etc.) but I had my share of fun and wanted to get on the road.

5) The clouds were dark and ominous, but a quick check of the weather forecasts stated that was to be expected, and the chance of rain had dropped to 20% when I left by house at 7:45am.

I realize you have travel restrictions, but, sometimes you have to take a chance. I'm glad I did, to me it was worth the 150 mile round trip.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Threw up some photos on Facebook, nice day out and glad we took the kids.

the MIF (true, Manny!) and I were discussing last night:

Initially she felt EWR Kids day was better for toddlers: the pony rides, balloons, petting zoo and rides up in the de-icers were things that we don't recall at LGA and the music, all were a huge hit with our kids. These are pros over LGA.

But I reminded her, that at LGA, there were a usually 3 airliners to walk through, a few military jets and choppers.

Im just glad I was able to take the kids to one of hte events this year and happy to run into both John Klos and Mike P.

A huge thanks to Mike for posting this again. That Saudi 747 popping in that sun was just ****! Felt good to shoot again!

As John said, the ride in was nice. WE went straight through NYC, no problem. On the way back home, made last minute plans with Bubbe (wife's grandma...=bonus hubby points.)

Great day out!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Thanks for the patience of answering my questions. Somebody did post no cameras allowed but evidently its not so. I will make the effort to go next year. My sister, who is wiser than me, said the TSA screening at EWR could be because EWR is an International Airport, while LGA isn't. The screening doesn't bother me, I just thought it made for longer waits to enter. I will take the express bus from PABT; it costs under $30 R/T, no senior discount. I have no patience to take PATH, change at Newark, etc. Next week, don't forget the TWA Terminal visit at JFK. I have no travel concerns; total cost R/T for me:$2.40 !

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Thanks for the patience of answering my questions. Somebody did post no cameras allowed but evidently its not so.
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    No cameras allowed...
    I read that as sarcasm due to the smiley and Newark's reputation. But sarcasm can be hard to detect in person and even more difficult online.

As for getting there, the NJ Transit train to the airport, Airtrain included, is $8.75 each way for a senior. I hate seeing a fellow hobbyist not being able to make it because they don't have all of the information.

When I got there around 10, (non-TSA, contractor) security seemed to be more of a show then actual security. Empty your pockets, get wanded front and back, and have a nice day. They had no interest in the contents of my bag whatsoever. Later on, John and I had a guard that kept coming over to share tidbits about the airport. He was very friendly.

All in all, it was a great event. It seemed a lot more laid back then LGA. Sure only the one airliner to walk through, but there was the petting zoo, pony rides, snow and emergency equipment, GA aircraft, even a guy with a couple of wolves. Not to mention the FREE food and FREE parking. Nobody cared that we were at the perimeter shooting photos of the airports operations and the Saudi 744. I had more issues with the redcoats at either end of the airtrain who were suspicious of somebody getting right back on to go the other way.

It was great to meet Mike, John, and a few others whose names I either didn't get or have forgotten. And thanks for the heads up about Building 1 Mike, it was definitely worth the stop. I didn't do much exploring, the place was deserted except for a few employees and my guards were up after the encounters with the suspicious redcoats on the airtrain. But the models (I especially liked the Continental Boeing SST) and the history were worth the stop. I'll have some pictures later hopefully, still weeding through them.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Ben & Mike, I completely missed Building 1. I'm not familiar with that area, and when I got out of the parking garage, I thought I was headed in the right direction, only to quickly find out, I was on the road to I-78. I'll try another day & time when I'm passing through that area. From what you all said it sounded like a place that I would want to spend some time exploring.