Thread: Pokemon ANA B744

Pokemon ANA B744

How many of you ever saw the adorable ANA Pokemon Jet at JFK? Reg #JA 8692. It started visiting JFK on Feb. 24,1999. It was a B744 and used to taxy to the Delta Terminal. I saw it myself several times, then it suddenly stopped coming since ANA no longer flies a B744 into JFK. I spoke to several passengers de-planing and they were given several souvenirs of the flight. I was wondering what happened to this colorful aircraft? Was it sold, re-painted or what? I am curious why ANA doesn't fly their Pokemon B777 into JFK, either. Incidentally, several models were produced of the Pokemon Jet but I could never get one. I was told that for legal reasons, no models could be sold in the USA and the ones available were extremely expensive to purchase. I did see a small model at the ANA ticket office in Manhattan about 10 years ago.. I can't recall ever hearing that it was illegal to own a model aircraft.

It's not illegal to own a model aircraft, but in order to sell one with the markings, they need permission via a licensing agreement with the owners of the cartoon (trademark, copyright, etc.) It sounds as if they didn't sign a deal - for which they would have to pay royalties - and thus were not permitted to sell models with the Pokemon artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    How many of you ever saw the adorable ANA Pokemon Jet at JFK? Reg #JA 8692. It started visiting JFK on Feb. 24,1999. It was a B744 and used to taxy to the Delta Terminal. I saw it myself several times, then it suddenly stopped coming since ANA no longer flies a B744 into JFK. I spoke to several passengers de-planing and they were given several souvenirs of the flight. I was wondering what happened to this colorful aircraft? Was it sold, re-painted or what? I am curious why ANA doesn't fly their Pokemon B777 into JFK, either. Incidentally, several models were produced of the Pokemon Jet but I could never get one. I was told that for legal reasons, no models could be sold in the USA and the ones available were extremely expensive to purchase. I did see a small model at the ANA ticket office in Manhattan about 10 years ago.. I can't recall ever hearing that it was illegal to own a model aircraft.
    ANA's Pokemon jets were in few versions.

Domestic (B747-400D no-winglets) versions were JA8964 & JA8965
    International (B747-400) version was JA8962

So it was "962" that frequented KJFK and around the globe. This was taken at RJOO (Osaka)

For models.... I believe at least Dragon Wings made 1:400 and Pacific Miniature made 1:100. Just check the model sites and you will get much more info and maybe able to snag one at right price.

I believe this is one of the big site.... http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/

Raj