Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Plane Spotter's Journal - My first book!

Mark,

I think that is a very fair point. Logan, should you decide to read this, stay with the hobby. I am a few weeks shy of being 3 years older than you, and while I started shooting somewhere younger than you are, it didn't become a serious pastime until 2 or so years ago. I cannot echo enough what was said above- love aviation, shoot for no one but yourself, and enjoy yourself doing it. In a short couple of years, I have gone from picking up my first SLR, to between runways at some of the busiest military bases in the country, to magazine stands from Berlin to Tokyo-all on a students budget. Work hard, save up, spend wisely, it is doable. Whether we hear from you again or not, I wish you the best of luck.

Nick

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Do I get the sense Logan will not be posting anymore? Perhaps this could be a good lesson in life. Logan, don't be led away by my stern comments... do post back and learn why your post is inappropriate in many ways...

--First of all, it is impolite to barge into a room and start making demands. In any social situation, that is considered impolite.
    --It is not very good protocol to walk up to a group of strangers and ask for money. Try that in the real world. Always imagine yourself in any situation on The Internet to a real world social situation. However you would act in real life, in person, you should apply and adapt to on-line situations and apply proper etiquette, or as it is better known, netiquette

William, I seek your professional advice and help here now :-)
    Manny you are pretty much spot on- the Internet is like driving in traffic, it has a hell of a tendency to depersonalize people and lead them to do things they wouldn't normally. Those of us that remember a life without the internet and smart phones may be able to keep this in mind more readily. It is sage advice to act as if the people you are chatting up online are sitting all around you.

I learned a lot of things the hard way at 16. We all did. Fred is right, Logan- post what you got

Usually, this type of thread would be deleted for being unauthorized advertising. However, it turned out kinda how I thought... we'd ask to clarify that this was, in fact, what he was doing, a light and unoffensive joke or two, and then more people giving useful, hearty advice.

I was a little surprised that we were being asked to help fund the hobby for someone, which is asking for donations, not like a "yard sale". I wish people would come to me first before they start asking members for money regardless of what it is for.

Looks like this thread evolved, some lulz ensued, and it became more of a help to nagol I feel.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    FYI - at the age of 16 I was busting my chops working, and not asking anyone for a handout. My other recommendation, is find yourself a rich girlfriend
    That's what I did (find a rich girlfriend, I mean), though I still do my job because I enjoy it. PIT this week, MIA later this month, ROC in March, DFW in April, then back to PIT a few more times.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

... what you have done is no more elegant that standing in a street corner dressed in a suit asking for money to buy a suit!
    is that a birthday suit Manny?
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

i found the jingle for his campaign.

Last edited by threeholerglory; 2012-02-07 at 04:34 PM.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Gerard, you complain about that subject getting old but you sure as hell keep trying to bring it back up huh? You're a real piece of work!
    Manny, I know, right. Just when I try to get out they drag me back in. I cant help myself!!!!

Well I am very sorry for insulting anyone, I am sorry for offending anyone. I will continue the project and see if it gets funded. I didn't realize that people would be so against this. Thanks for the advice!
    If an admin sees this message I suppose the thread could be deleted.

I don't think it's so much that people are against it,but for the fact that you came on here asking for money without first getting to know us,and us getting to know you.

Doug

Well I am a bit of a sheltered 16 year old. I don't spend very much time on forums/social networks. I have asked a few of my friends to donate and I understand why you guys will not. Hopefully I will get to know a few of you although it would be a bit awkward after this eh?

Not awkward. No one is mad. You'r still very welcome here and we'd would enjoy it if you came out shooting sometime. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by nagol2013 View Post
    If an admin sees this message I suppose the thread could be deleted.
    No, we'll keep it open so we can make fun of you...and don't worry - we only make fun of the people we like!

Quote Originally Posted by nagol2013 View Post
    Hopefully I will get to know a few of you although it would be a bit awkward after this eh?
    Welcome to NYCA, Logan! And please do post some of your work, we'd love to see it.

I agree, post some of your work. With the lineup of photographers here, it could always improve. I find myself jaw dropped every week by my friends on this site work and it will only make you a stronger photographer. P.S. New Yorkers are usually a tough crowd... If you post a shot that needs work, we will tell you. In the end, we are all here for the love of aviation and to grow from each other. Many take good photos and we learn lots from each other.

Texas huh? We had better see some B-25 shots from you down the road!

And don't mind Moose, he is still bitter that his beloved Thunderbirds flew the coupe to Turkey last year. It sucks for him that the Blue Angels CRANK and the thunder chickens YANK!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".