Thread: Nikon Coolpix S9100 Digital Camera

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Nikon Coolpix S9100 Digital Camera

anyone here use this camera? i've been looking for a point-and shoot for a while now and have almost all but decided on this one. mostly, it's the zoom that sold me (25-450mm). the 12mp sensor is better than my D200 but this is a whole lot lighter and easier to pack. the reviews i've read so far are about 50/50.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Excellent choice for the money! I would also strongly suggest you look at the excellent Canon Powershot SX230 HS
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Do these new fangled do alls shoot raw now? I was so surprised to hear spotting in Manchester that all this lad had to do was load the raw and all was good! It was a Nikon P&S.

The wife wants a new camera so I might have to have a look!

I'm sure the pictures it takes are nice enough, but I could never use one of these things. I just can't stand the shutter lag of P&S cameras.

My Step-dad just got one before are trip to Hawaii, nice lil camera very high quality...still my Canon 1000D is better in image quality.
    This is a great pocket camera...but I will always prefer the DSLR because of the size in pixels it has compared to the P&S.

William, have you ever shot a picture with your phone camera? The case is not to replace a dSLR but to actually get a small pocketable camera... some folks prefer this over taking a larger camera of any kind. There are different tastes and that's why you see literally 100 models from each manufacturer and wonder how they stay in business? Some folks also just have a budget they can't go over, would not go over or couldn;t imagine going over.

I have a friend who just spent $10,000 on a new set of golf clubs... he claims they are not even the best but it will be a step up in his game. I almost threw up. But anyway, he gets really upset with me when I tell him one of my lenses is $7500 or one body is $5500 etc. He gets really angry and says I am crazy. I usually win the argument by telling him he wouldn;t think twice about spending big bucks on his gear. Big world of choices and customers...

If you are absolutely quality conscious, yes, you will eventually move up to a dSLR with a Full Frame sensor. But hey, I have a point and shoot... my iPhone 4s is an AMAZING little camera :-)

BTW, William, please go to your local Best Buy or similar and try one of the new P&S digitals... they will blow you away how far they have come!
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny, it isn't the quality for me, it's the feel...when I press the shutter button I expect to hear the snap. Not, I press the shutter button, try to hold perfectly still for a second or so, then it goes off when it feels like it. That one feature of a P&S alone turns me right off. Like you I came from film (SLR's and P&S) and it's still night and day for me. On top of the lag, I have to look at a screen to take a picture??? I want a real viewfinder, not an electronic approximation of what my eyes are looking at. Some don't care about these issues, but I do. I know this sounds like Grandpa Simpson's rant about there being too many states in the US, but hey, gotta be passionate about something.

My mom just got herself an awesome Canon P&S. It takes great shots. But I press the shutter and I feel like it's telling me "Hey, I'll go off when I feel like it, tough guy"(yes I hear that in a NY accent)

I hear you... all I am sayign is, for those are looking into this particular part of the market, the S9100 and SX230 are the top choices in my book. :-) I would buy it for one of my family members... for me, my P&S is my phone now. I used to have an old Fuji because of it's better sensor tech but now, I don't need it. My next step for a good pocketable will be likely a Canon G1-X or the Fuji X-Pro ... as far as my dSLR choices... it is up to Nikon wether or not I get a Sony A77 (I know, the madness) or a new D400 or D4X or whatever crop sensor they come up with next. The D4 is already going in my camera bag as soon as I fill the crop sensor gap :P
    Manny Gonzalez

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i agree with you guys in that shutter lag sucks, but i'm not going to be shooting at airshows with this thing. i'm never getting rid of my D200 unless i eventually end up with a D3. all i ant is something that is more comfortable and convenient to carry around or pack with me when i'm taking weekend trips somewhere. when i was in cali for new years i had no choice to take my D200 but for the sake of space i had to remove the grip; leaving the cam very uncomfortable to shoot with.

until i own my own PC-12 or CASA 295 and can take all my crap with me i'll just have to settle for a really good p&s to pack into my carry-on....
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    My next step for a good pocketable will be likely a Canon G1-X or the Fuji X-Pro
    Well, the G1 X isn't really pocketable, but it's a sweet camera. I met a Canon rep who had a pre-production model on him, and we took some plane shots with it. Really nice camera, with a big sensor. It's got some cool things like being able to pick whether you want to delete the RAW, JPG, or RAW+JPG in-camera, the face-detection is lightning fast (it tracked a boy running through the corner of the frame when we weren't even testing that functionality), there are a ton of options and modes, and the pictures are pretty darn clean. The zoom is a limiting factor, and the price is high for a P&S, though.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    i agree with you guys in that shutter lag sucks, but i'm not going to be shooting at airshows with this thing.
    LOL I do. Back in the day I had a Pentax ME Super with 70-210 Zoom which I loved but for the last 5 years ago I've been enjoying the ease of a P&S.
    The last few years I've been using the Canon Powershot ELPH 100HS w/4X Zoom at air shows and everywhere else. Oh I dont get the great zoom in/right on top shots you guys get but I love just blasting away with my Canon and see what pops up. You'd be surprised (me too) at some of the shots that come out . And it makes me happy, its a lot of fun and that is all that matters. I can take the camera everywhere in my pocket and when taking shots in certain places, like when flying, its not as noticeable. And at family functions or parties I can let other people use it to take pictures and not to be nervous with them damaging expensive equipment or figuring out how to use it.