Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: 2012 Airshow questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,581

    2012 Airshow questions

    Hey guys,

    I just started looking into the 2012 airshow schedule and need some help deciding. For the upcoming year I want to make it to a few more shows than I did this past year. Most of the shows I plan on attending will be local (New England-Mid Atlantic) since money looks as though it will be a little tight. I do however want to make one trip out of the area to a good show. Right now I would like to make this trip around March. Looking at the schedule El Centro falls in this timeframe.

    I'm hoping that anyone who has gone to this show can provide me with any info good or bad. Is it worth flying out for? How is the view/light for photogs NOT holding credentials?

    I was also concidering Thunder Over Utah which is a week after El Centro, and also has the Blue Angels performing.

    Thoughts???
    Steve Furst

    View my work @

    Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

  2. #2
    Senior Member gonzalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx, New York
    Posts
    6,028
    Close to SD, the El Centro show is just great. It is usually the Blue Angels opening performance each year. Chino (I love warbirds and this makes it one of the very best airshows in the world if you love warbirds!!!!) and MCAS Yuma (In Arizona) are terrific as well... Pt. Mugu is got killer light (and very humid air means lots of vapes) and I am a HUGE fan of the Van Nuys airshow where the B-52 wings one year felt like they would decapitate me at the fence!! However, I have heard this show has been permanently closed :-( Is that true? Anyone with better info? If open, it could be terrific... but maybe dull nowadays.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

  3. #3
    Senior Member Zee71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    4,350
    Great info Sir! I'm hoping to make it to Oceana for 2012 (the weather was very disappointing this year).
    Mark
    Queens, NY

    My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

  4. #4
    Senior Member Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miller Place N.Y.
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Great info Sir! I'm hoping to make it to Oceana for 2012 (the weather was very disappointing this year).
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

  5. #5
    Senior Member gonzalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx, New York
    Posts
    6,028
    Yeah but Fred, imagine that shot with Blue Skies!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

  6. #6
    Senior Member Steven Holzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Marlton, New Jersey
    Posts
    680
    Ask again in mid December :-)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,851
    Jones Beach sure making up for last year with the Angels & Snowbirds.
    But what intrigues me are the "Hudson River, War of 1812" dates May 21-23 for the Angels.
    Anyone can clue me (us) in?

  8. #8
    Senior Member moose135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,062
    No details yet, Gerard, but next year is the bicentennial of the War of 1812. The Blues apparently will be commemorating the great air battles of that war.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miller Place N.Y.
    Posts
    4,534
    yes but then I would have to kill you
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

  10. #10
    Senior Member fk6065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Jones Beach sure making up for last year with the Angels & Snowbirds.
    But what intrigues me are the "Hudson River, War of 1812" dates May 21-23 for the Angels.
    Anyone can clue me (us) in?
    It seems to be coinciding with Fleet Week. Here is a link with more info, a lot to go through but has some info

    http://www.navy.mil/navco/CFA/07%20B...ica%202010.pdf

    I am guessing the Blues will be making various flyoves while in the area for the Jones Beach Show. Maybe we will have them for a few extra days.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The Blues apparently will be commemorating the great air battles of that war.
    LMAO I think I missed those in history class.
    But imagine if the Blues went back in time........................

  12. #12
    Senior Member Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    It seems to be coinciding with Fleet Week. Here is a link with more info, a lot to go through but has some info
    http://www.navy.mil/navco/CFA/07%20B...ica%202010.pdf
    I am guessing the Blues will be making various flyoves while in the area for the Jones Beach Show. Maybe we will have them for a few extra days.
    Thanks for that. It was a LOT but it looks like we might have some interesting stuff going on here in May. Something to warm our aviation loving hearts as we head into the chill
    of winter!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member gonzalu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    The Bronx, New York
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    LMAO I think I missed those in history class.
    But imagine if the Blues went back in time........................
    "The Final, FINAL, Countdown"
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

  14. #14
    Senior Member fk6065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Thanks for that. It was a LOT but it looks like we might have some interesting stuff going on here in May. Something to warm our aviation loving hearts as we head into the chill
    of winter!!
    Hopefully it will be better than the "Centenial of Naval Aviation" last year.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oceanside
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    "The Final, FINAL, Countdown"
    Love that movie.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

    http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •