Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rhode Island Air Show June 24-26

Good seeing a nice NYCA contingent this weekend.

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    who's got the cajones to post that first Sherpa picture?
    Great day, Great performers, & Great Company.

If anybody has any pics of the Sherpa Demo team, especially when they did the Low Transition, full afterburner takeoff, I'd love to see them!

Amazing shots Eric. The clarity of some of your pics astounds me.
    Last edited by Big Tim #70; 2011-06-27 at 01:47 PM.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70 View Post
    If anybody has any pics of the Sherpa Demo team, especially when they did the Low Transition, full afterburner takeoff, I'd love to see them!
    THAT WAS EPIC!!!Did you see the water RIPPING off the twin tails????

Great shots everyone...I will post my Sherpa bumping the burner in a bit! The Blue Angels were Awesome, they were almost as good as the epic Sherpa demo...but really, that was Jaw dropping.

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I was at RI Air Show Saturday. Really nice weather and light in the afternoon.

I had two problems in taking pictures at the air show. First, I forgot to load my 100-400L into my car during the chaos of getting my son into the car. Lucky, I always keep my 70-200 f/4L in the camera bag. But I have to crop some of the photos really heavy. The other problem was we arrived a little late, so I was behind several rows of people. It was very difficult to track aerial performance when all I could see was the back of people's heads.

Anyhow, here are some of my photos.

Great stuff guys!!!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Some more.

and a little spotting
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    <3 <3 <3!!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Just touching the surface of my haul from Sunday...

RI Air Guard C-130

Sean D. Tucker

Mike Goulian

John Klatt

TBM-3 Avenger Demo

GEICO Skytpers

The Horsemen - Bearcat Demo

The sleek & sexy ......Sherpa!

F-16...with a touch of vapor

Fat Albert at 10 feet

Finally...I though Tucker & Klatt were buddies? A little perspective makes it look like Tucker's 2nd ship just escaped Klatt's demo.
    Last edited by lijk604; 2011-06-27 at 10:35 PM.

From the weather delay Saturday morning there were other displays to see

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Wonderful Pictures here, I love Isaac's F-16 ripping vapor... That was almost as much vapor as we had seen off the twin tails of the Sherpa.

Fred's got more tail in this thread that a toilet seat! NICE!

Eric did not disappoint with his Sherpa back shot...any more from the rear and this thread would be NSFW!!!

It looks like Wavefront Edited that F-16 pretty hard as that was the vapor coming off the Sherpa and he cut out the airframe and put the F-16 in there. (nice set but don't disrespect the Sherpa next time)

John, I BOW TO YOU SIR...Look at those awesome 90 degree angles on the Sherpa shot. If I had to rename the plane I would call it the sexy box b!tch!!! Your picture made the this threat timeless and that plane made every Airforce and Navy pilot wish that they had a plane that just looked half as good as the Sherpa. This plane is so epic that Army change its Slogan for 2012... It is "Army, Sherpa Strong"

Anyway, Here are a few of my shots.... I did not want to ruin this thread with the EPIC Sherpa Shot so here is a link to it
    http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/...-Q5wvWhJ-L.jpg

Seen Here after the Sherpa demo, they needed a few Grumman Iron works aircraft to try and keep the crowds attention. I think I heard people snoring as once you have seen
    the awesomeness of "Sherpa Strong", everything else seems likes a Piper Cub!

They had to bump the burner a few times to wake everyone up

Rolling out after the Demo

The Sherpa Dropped a large Marshmallow from 4,000 feet and the F-16 pilot did not miss a beat, seen here hitting it at 210ias as any faster would chance breaking the bubble canopy

Still with some Marshmallow hanging on to the inlet and exaust, This pilot must have been honored to be part of a Sherpa Demo

Trying to do anything to keep the Crowd, this C-130 crew attached some smoke generators on the end of the prop tips to try to keep the attention of the crowd...the Idea was
    that the centripetal force would yank the safety pins out of the the smoke grenades!.... The Army to keep attention, just took a real airplane to the show!

He tried so hard to be bad a$$

Tucker of course did not disappoint! He showed the Sherpa homage by doing everything in 90 degree angels!

After Taxiing out, this P-51 took one look at the Sherpa and just turned around and parked...It was really sad to see the look on the pilots face as he got out of the
    aircraft. It reminded me of the old World Wide of Sports intro with the Skier "THE AGONY OF DEFEAT!" Very Sad

Can't win the all... especially laying down on the job!

Here Brian Norris is trying to get away from the Runway as quick as possible as John Klatt had the Big Bean Burrito for breakfast and during his low passes his gas would get lit off by the old runway lights.... This is part of the reason they keep pushing those new LED's at all the airports he performs at!

Realizing that they were way over their heads, the Blue Angels pulled much harder in the Diamond to get some Vapor
    as they realized that they needed to do SOMETHING to be noticed at an airshow with a Sherpa

Still, nobody cared that much

Fat Albert took to the sky's, I liked how the announcer said "this C-130 has a real nice back cargo door just like the Sherpa" and
    nobody cared as it did not have the twin tails and lacked the elegance of 90 degree angles and a wing straighter then the center
    post of my pitched tent while looking at the Sherpa

and NO, I did not go far enough with that statement!

There was an issue with Blue Angel #5 as he had breakfast with Klatt but thank God he was not on the deck when he blew his trouser trumpet

Seen a few minutes later, Here he is blowing a paint peeling cushion creeper at 6G's, Thank god there was no Micro-burst or they would have needed
    another Sherpa to get all people evacuated from the airshow.

Ohhh MY

Oh Yes I DID!
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-06-28 at 08:29 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Great images everyone. I can't believe how the weather cleared on Saturday, I went on Sunday and it was overcast and kind of crappy all day with some breaks. errrr...

Anyhow, Isaac: it was a pleasure meeting you on Friday during practice.
    That C5 arrival was awesome.

Major Henry "Schadow" Schantz, the F-22 Raptor demo pilot stopped by and chatted for quite a long time.
    Here's NYCA's Isaac with him:

The Avenger was really cool with that radial engine:

The Skytypers were pretty good too:

I've only begun to sort, cull, and process my images...too many photos, not enough time, lol.

Wow... absolutely amazed how many great shots in here so far... I have not had time to do ANYTHING!!! My files are still sitting on either CF cards or portable hard drive :-( As soon as I got back it was 24x7 day job and family! ugh...

Great meeting Big Tim finally and seeing the NYCA crew really really made my day on Sunday.. .WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    Great images everyone. I can't believe how the weather cleared on Saturday, I went on Sunday and it was overcast and kind of crappy all day with some breaks. errrr...
    Anyhow, Isaac: it was a pleasure meeting you on Friday during practice.
    That C5 arrival was awesome.
    Bill, it was great meeting and chatting with you. I hope to see you there next year at the cookout.

And thanks for the photo...

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_NY View Post
    Bill, it was great meeting and chatting with you. I hope to see you there next year at the cookout.

And thanks for the photo...

Isaac
    Isaac, check your email later today...I'll send the full size files to you. The image posted above with you and Schadow was taken with my iPhone. The ones with my dSLR are much better