Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Ticket and Then Some

Speeding Ticket and Then Some

...let me cut to the [chase] literally. So after catching the Lufthansa A380 LH0401 taking off yesterday from HoBe, I decided to go back to Panera and meet up with Eric and finish my day shooting arrivals.

Everyone kind of took off with Mark going home, I think Jose also went home, Malcom went back to NE and Kaz joined me... he followed me out, we went the usual route down Cross Bay to the Belt, to the Nassau Exp etc.

I was cooking a bit... not crazy but definitely faster than most. As I passed by Evergreen, slightly after the FedEx area on the Nassau Exp, the speed limit drops to 40MPH (on an Interstate, but I digress) I got clipped by a laser-wielding NYC Highway Patrol in an Unmarked Ford Crown Vic LTD.

He steps in front of the center lane traffic and holds all lanes, points at me and asks me to pull up behind him. I quickly comply of course.

"Sixty Six on a Forty" he immediately shows me on the back of the gun... and I of course say, good afternoon officer, if you and your LASER say so...

"license and regi please" I already had it out and handed it over. He sees my "small" lens on the pax seat and starts to inquire (verbatim)

PO: "What is that a camera?"

Me: "Yes sir"

PO: "What is it for?"

Me: "Taking Pictures"

PO: "Of what?"

Me: "Airplanes"

PO: "Really? Where are you coming from...?"

Me: "Uh, well, we call it Howard Beach but it is rea..."

PO: "Where are you going now?"

ME: ...lly Jamaica Bay Wildlife... uh, I was headed to Panera Bread but now I may end up at what we call "The Mounds" but I don;t know the exact address"

(I saw from my position that the pattern had changed to the 22s)

now comes what is beginning the standard response to our hobby lately????

PO: "Aren't you worried with what's going on these days?"

(and my usual response)

Me: "What [is] going on these days?"

PO: "Why do you take pictures of planes?"

Me: "For enjoying them and for hobby, much like some go Golfing" I smile

PO: Grins with a puzzled look at me and says hang on.

he walks to his RMP and begins to write me up I assume. I then see him on his cell phone. 10 minutes pass, he asks me to move in front of him so I comply.

BTW the whole time he is chatting with me, I have my scanner tuned to tower, approach, ground and departure, piped through my car's speakers, pretty loud... I did not want to NOT do anything I wouldn't normally do so as not to look suspicious at all.

30 minutes pass. By this time I am starting to guess that he called in the FBI (seriously, I know too much about the way NYPD operates (long story)) and that is common practice. I also figured the officer thought he may have a good story for his boss later...

Sure enough, I was wrong about the FBI but never guessed about PAPD!! LOL, an PAPD marked RMP rolls up next to the NYPD plain with cherries on (he is in traffic lanes)

They speak for about 5 minutes all while I took a nap btw, I only opened my eyes when they rolled out of their cars.

Up next to me comes the PAPD driver, NYPD PO and on my pax window the PAPD shotgun.

PAPD PO: "Good afternoon Mr. Gonzalez"

Me: "Good afternoon officer, good tour so far?"

PAPD PO: "Yes thanks, so you're taking pictures of the planes?

Me: "Yes"

PAPD PO: "...like on the ground?"

Me: "Well, no of course not, we are not allowed and it is pretty hard to do so at JFK with so many obstructions from public places"

PAPD PO: "no because sometimes over by the old hospital, some folks... so, up in the air? How can you? Is it possible? Aren't they too far?

Me: "Well, did you not see my lens?"

laughter

Me: "actually very doable"

NYPD PO: "and what do you do with them?"

at this point I already had my business cards out and handed them over as the officer from NYPD further added...

NYPD PO: "you don't post them on The Internet do you?"

Me: "Why of course!! I have my own websites devoted to it, there are entire websites and communities devoted to it and actually most airports around the country and the world actually support and even encourage the hobby by building facilities for spotting.

NYPD PO: "what? really?"

totally puzzled, the PAPD officer quickly looks at the NYPD officer and just nods his head yes, indeed, confirming what I say.

Now the conversation quickly shifts to my radio and the chatter

PAPD PO: "Is that a [Police] Scanner?"

Me: "No. It is a regular scanner. It is tuned to all the airport aviation frequencies. Please, check it out"

I took it off the audio and handed it to him... he quickly nodded no no no, not necessary

PAPD PO: "Nah, I recognize all the frequencies"

Looking at each other, the officers were sure I did not pose a credible threat and the PAPD officer motioned to the NYPD officer that all is cool, I was handed my License, Regi and a neatly folded tag for speeding! :-(

I had hoped given my great story and all the cool info on the hobby I would get a break!

All and all, I knew it would be cool. I was actually happy about having yet another PO educated a bit more about our great and safe hobby.

I left and went down to The Mounds and finished off the day with a few more frames!

Oh yeah, Kaz should have been the OBVIOUS choice to stop with his sports car... not me with my family brute!
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-04-04 at 09:53 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Shotguns! Awesome! Was it a pump or autoloader? Sorry about the speedo. I have gotten up to 100 on that stretch many a time last 8 years and never gotten nailed. Good read thanks Manny.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Thanks for the story, Manny. Sorry about the ticket, 26 over sucks. Nice to see the PAPD was cool with it. I probably would have gotten the speach about my radar detector after getting caught. a radar detector is only good when you pay attention to it
    Last edited by DHG750R; 2011-04-04 at 10:17 PM.

Sorry to hear about the ticket (it's funny to me how they fold it haha), but I'm glad they were at least pretty cool about the hobby, even though they took up a bit of your time.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Interesting story.... NYPD isn't as aware of us apparently but the Port is well aware and actually welcoming of it as long as you arent hampering business as usual with the chosen location. Sucks about the speeder.... There is a little background to why the Port is soo keenly aware of us now but I am not going to go there in open forum.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I'll tell ya Manny that really got to me, I felt so freaking bad man, plus I know how that feels since I've been there SO many times ( but I have been good for a while ) Plus we were having sucha good day up to that point and that was just a total buzz kill :(

Im still shocked, it's not like it was just us 2 on the road, by that time that part was packed with cars and pretty much everyone was on the same pace.

And yes that was a SHOCK To me that he didn't get me, I get stopped pretty much 2 outta 5 times when I have her out and NOT for speeding, last weekend NYPD pulled me over to ask what kindda exhaust do I have on there !!!!
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Kaz I hear ya... I have had more tickets over my lifetime than I can count (or care to admit) and all well justified. This one stung for a couple of reasons... It never dawned on me how ever many times I have flown by there as Nick said, they would have a solid trap at 40MPH given that it is a marked Interstate Extension... I mean 40? Come on. So be it... then there is the whole fact that we were SURROUNDED by cars, all going pretty much at the same rate. I also should have known better because I saw them there twice earlier that day going to Panera and then going to HoBe... total trap as he was just 500 feet from the 40MPH sign! Yeah it stings, not for the $200 but for the points. I have been clean for like, 10 years at least? I mean, I have had my lic suspended for too many points twice in my life, especially with the Trans Ams back in the 80s lol.

Both NYPD and PAPD were super cool, super professional, and NYPD while very curious and very surprised and puzzled by the hobby, did it all by the book nice and neat... no one got hurt, no one got upset, I still got tagged and he still got his ticket on the record.

I really don't mind a lecture, screaming (have had many of those), threats, cursing, as long as I get a break Ahh, I was due I guess, been pushing it a bit the past few months, should have cut back a bit!

Phil, the folding is totally odd but heck, it beats places like Miami where they make you read it and sign it after they point out all the dirty details... [That] is funny and embarrassing at the same time.
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-04-05 at 09:54 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Shotguns! Awesome! Was it a pump or autoloader? Sorry about the speedo. I have gotten up to 100 on that stretch many a time last 8 years and never gotten nailed. Good read thanks Manny.
    Ha! I wish, that's cool when I draw guns on me! Not!!

I meant the officer riding shotgun... lol
    Manny Gonzalez

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Oh I thought the other officer pulled his 12 guage! Well at least you didn't get pulled over by the Governator

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Wait the ticket is $4200!!!
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Nick, nah... lol, that would have been scary! I LOVE guns, just not when they are pointed at me.

Brandon, no, it was a typo... the Dollar Sign key is above trhe four. I always make that mistake (corrected)

Officer: $200 for speeding, $4000 tax for making me work!

lol
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I really don't mind a lecture, screaming (have had many of those), threats, cursing, as long as I get a break Ahh, I was due I guess, been pushing it a bit the past few months, should have cut back a bit!
    I gotta say, following you that day you showed me and Kaz some of the places we don't mention on here was fun trying to keep up with you. Its a good thing I knew where I was going on the way back to the mounds after leaving the airport cause you ended up shooting out of there faster than I could blink. Lol

Last time I was down Kaz kindly told me that I should slow down through there. I didn't see any cops, but I think from now on I will take my time on that stretch of road.

Anyways, glad that that experience went smoothly and all you came away with was a ticket. Thats great that the officers were cool, and professional.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Those unmarked Vics are badass, too bad the Crown Victoria is fleet-only available now I love that car

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Sorry to hear about the ticket (it's funny to me how they fold it haha), but I'm glad they were at least pretty cool about the hobby, even though they took up a bit of your time.
    Yea they fold it. I found that out when I got into a fender with my new 09 Avenger. Only had it for just about a month at that time somebody a few cars up stopped short and end result was I got boxed in with nowhere to go. Still not happy about it. Kinda suprised to hear about a unmarked on the JFK expressway there. Ive never seen anybody there and I drive up and down there almost daily for years now. Also yes that 40mph limit is a little slow if you ask me. The funny thing is nobody (including myself) follows the 40mph and usually does highway speed. Guess ill have to be more careful for awhile.

Thankfully, tickets aren't based on the focal length you use 400mm = 400 bucks ;)