Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Help

Lens Help

So, I'm in the market for a new camera and the biggest choice I have to make is what lens to get to go with it. The fight comes down to the Canon 100-400mm L and the Nikon 80-400mm VR (which would dictate what camera I will purchase...) I've read reviews for both and they seem pretty similar, but I figure I'd come here to get some spotter's advice. Thanks in advance for info on either lens!

My new set up is the Canon T2i with the 100-400 lens. I think the quality is awesome, here are some shots with this set up from this past Sunday, hope it helps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9051805...7625815903487/
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

I think all the Canon guys will tell you to go with the 100-400 and all the Nikon guys will tell you to go with the 80-400. I shoot Canon - I'm very happy with the 100-400. I've never shot Nikon, so I couldn't tell you the first thing about the 80-400.

I have been looking hard at the T2i, full 1080p video, 18mp, and the large LCD display are pretty nice features. Bodies come and go, I guess...I like the slightly lower price of the T2I over, say, the D90. The lenses seem to be on par price-wise....

I am a die hard Nikon shooter because of the glass and nothing else. So I suggest the 100-400mm from Canon as it is SLIGHTLY better than the 80-400 Nikkor optically and definitely faster in that it has USM and the Nikon a screw drive.

If you plan on doing anything that requires fast auto focus, go with Canon. Otherwise it is a toss up. The Nikon has the advantage in range. Don't discount the Sony Alpha and they also great 70-400mm zoom. Sonys are typically much cheaper than Canon/Nikon for likely similar performance and capabilities.

I am already heavily invested in Nikon so it makes sense to stick to one brand... but the choices today are far easier to make since they are all pretty close to each other in quality and end results.

Sorry to disappoint you Moose :-) I am usually pretty unbiased when it comes to these matters. But will defend the better performing brand when it counts, regardless of the logo in front
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Also consider camera tone settings. One camera will be slightly different than the other if you look at out of camera JPGs. I love Canon colors sometimes more than Nikon for certain things. It is a PREFERENCE not a fact. Don;t let anyone guide you wrong.. it is YOUR taste, not any sort of science behind the feeling you get from an image. In this area the cameras are indeed different. If you post process in Lightroom or Photoshop, it is less of an issue... but to me, Fuji has the BEST skin tones, followed by Canon, and then Nikon.

For landscapes and fauna, I prefer the look of Nikon colors... etc. etc. Also consider the whole system. Does it have the depth you like to have? Does it have those components you desire?

Look at handling and ergonomics as well. One camera may be perfect for some and horrible for others... that's why there are still many successful manufacturers. I think Nikon ergonomics trump any other brand's... and I have used most SLRs out today and since 1960s ... Canon dSLR ergonomics drive me insane :-( never mind Pentax... they are just coo coo to me! lol
    Manny Gonzalez

I'm a Nikon shooter and I recently purchased the 80-400mm lens because I wanted a little more reach than my 70-300mm. The I am somewhat pleased with the 80-400mm, in great light it's awesome, the focus is rather slow as Manny mentioned, and I see that first hand when trying to shoot the plane as it's approach you dead on (I tend to get more images that are blurred) as opposed to images of the plane going from left to right or visa verse (here the majority of my images then to be sharper). I am hoping to see what Nikon releases this year. I am hoping Nikon upgrades the 80-400mm lens with their VR II and autofocus capabilities.

I've seen great results from other spotters that use the Canon 100-400mm. Although I am not too crazy about the push-pull on the lens in order to zoom in and out (I guess like anything else you get accustomed to it). There are Canon rumors as well that they may be upgrading this lens as well.

My personal thoughts are that Nikon has much better lenses when it comes to sharpness, their focusing capabilities are better (expect of the 80-400mm), and their camera's bodies high ISO capabilities are second to none when shooting in low light situations. Canon to me has an edge over Nikon when it comes to color reproduction......for whatever reason I like the color better.

Also, compare the images posted here and elsewhere to see what the lenses give you. A good part of my images posted here have been taken with the Nikon D300 + 80-400mm VR lens. While many others are with taken with various Canon bodies + 100-400mm IS lens.

I would hold off a couple of months to see if Nikon or Canon drops anything new. I am so tempted to either get a new body with more mega pixels or splurge for a high end lens, but I am in a wait and see mode.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Another Canon shooter here. I started with the 70-200mm, it was too short for most of the shots I had. I added the 400mm, I love this lens. I have got some great shots with this lens!! Light weight and fast focusing. The only issue was that it was sometimes too long for the bigger planes. I picked up a used 100-400mm last August. I am still learning when to use it vs. the 400mm. In low light it is not good, if you need to crop the image it is not good. When you need flexibility and the light is good it is a great lens.

Short story the 100-400 is the go to lens for most Canon aviation shooters. I am a bit of a non-conformist, so I am toying with going to a two body set up, trading my 100-400 for 7D.

Come to MSP, see the Delta jets and I will let you shoot everything in my camera bag.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Simple. Handle the cameras themselves. Get the body your hands "like" the best. Do this with your eyes closed, so you aren't aware of the brand, and can avoid all the preconceived notions about which camera is "better" than another. You simply must love to hold the machine you will be carrying around with you.

I did this in June '07, and walked out of the store with my Nikon D40x. It was a joy to hold it and shoot it. Every little curve and finger crevice just felt perfect. It was so good, I went and bought a D40 body six months later to have the same body with different guts to take family shots(and have the higher flash sync).

Last year, I was in Best Buy and picked up a Canon 50D on display. It was a dream to see that autofocus in action. But I hated holding the thing.

Most people shooting aviation seem to shoot Canon, and that's in large part due to the 100-400. Affordable and with great optics, it's tough to beat.

However, as others have mentioned, Nikon is due to refresh the oft-maligned Nikkor 80-400mmVR. There is a good chance of this happening this year. If it does, I bet this will really give the 100-400 a run for its money. One of the patents filed, according to Nikon Rumors(yes people I know it is a rumor), is for a 200-500mm variable-aperture Nikkor. If that happens, that would be the ultimate plane spotting lens in my mind, and I'll be selling off the Sigma 150-500 I just bought to get it.

Ditto on the Nikon rumor of the 200-500mm............that's what I am hoping for because the 80-400mm is dated compared to today's lenses.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

This is why I love this site.....

I've heard the nikon "rumors" as well...so I'll give it time...I will head to B&H to play around with both sometime soon.

Program Coordinator
    I have a 100-400 available for sale!

Jeremy you are such an opportunist!
    Manny Gonzalez

Program Coordinator
    Jeremy you are such an opportunist!
    I gotta part with the lens so I can afford its replacement!

400mm f/2.8? Ours is $10,000 when you can find one... used? about $9,000 if you can find one LOL.
    Manny Gonzalez