Thread: PHL Trip, Anyone? Saturday, November 27

PHL Trip, Anyone? Saturday, November 27

Hi, all.

I'll be in Philadelphia next weekend with my girlfriend for a dance competition she has, and since she'll be at the event all day, I'm free to do some spotting. I've been to PHL a few times over the last 5 years or so, and it's a GREAT airport for photography. Hog Island Road is a great spot, with a nice variety of traffic (lots of US and WN, but great aircraft variety and special liveries). There's also an occasional surprise (DC-8 or 747 classic, for example).

If anyone wants to join, let me know, and we can organize where and when to meet!

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Been meaning to get down to PHL one of these days. Cary makes it look like a must do. Indeed with the US Air special liveries like the Piedmont, I really want to get there. 27th is still kind of far off for me but let me check my calendar and get back to you.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

It'd be cool to meet you down there! Thankfully, the rush of US heavies (and the BA777, with an occasional DL744 or A330) happens at around 2:15, since we need low sun. Hog Island Road is quite close to the approaches (your 200-400 will almost certainly be way too long) so you're looking up at the aircraft. Examples: http://tisdigital.com/penn.html

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Come on down! We get a lot of interesting traffic here- AF1, C-130's, F-18's, An-124's have all come in over the last several months. Maybe you'll get lucky. Paul and others are great about sending out alerts on the Philly site

If the weather holds, I'll be there- just make sure you don't park on the fence side of Hog Island Rd(some do occasionally)

I'd love to come out and join you guys, since it is my local airport (well, major one), but I am super busy with other things...

I wish I can make it to PHL again, if i had a way to get down there from upstate to spot with u guys I would do it.. Ive spotting at PHL last year.. Its one great airport to shoot at!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Sergio, it'd be awesome to see you! If you can get a ride down on Saturday (I'd definitely offer, but I'm heading down Friday with my girlfriend, and coming back Sunday night) then you should, by all means, come!!!!

Manny, I hope you can make it!

Steven, I'm sure you can cancel whatever it is you have, haha. I'm always excited to meet new spotters.

Megatop, definitely keep us posted if you hear of anything. Right now, weather forecast looks great. I've got my fingers crossed!

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Well, it will not be for me :-( My Mom, Sister and Wife all conspired to change holiday arrangements to Saturday instead of Thursday/Friday as usual ... Mom can't get day off... so up to Albany I will go. Enjoy it guys.
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny...grab some quiet time in the morning and shoot at Albany. :) I had a quick hour this past Sunday and grabbed a few frames while I was up there.

TIS, I'd love to do the Philly shoot, especially with a group. Won't know til last minute though if I can make it.

Thanks John... I probably will get there about 12:00am so the morning shoot will have to wait until Sunday :-/ But I was hoping to catch AT LEAST the FedEx 727
    Manny Gonzalez

So far, based on the feedback, we've got a nice group. It consists of...me!!!! Oh, and "myself". "I" is not sure if he can make it, but I'm going to try and convince him.

Hope to see some other people show up, but I'll go it alone if not, haha. John, come on down!!!!!

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

NLovis
    I will sadly be at work that day. I may get some time in 2011.

Can't cancel my plans... sorry guys. Kinda want to get this project I'm working on done sooner rather than later.

Weather looks great for Saturday, if a bit cold. Looks like I'm the only one heading out, but so be it!

Just for spite, I hope I get A380, AN-225, Travolta's 707, AF1, and, what the hell, a Concorde.

I'll be going dark until Friday afternoon, but I'll be back online then, to see if anyone else was convinced!

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

If you get a Concorde, I seriously think you would not talk to us anymore, but more like a lot of US Secret Agency types while behind closed doors in a bunker deep deep deep inside a rock somewhere LOL.
    :-)

Happy hunting. I will be competing with you from the excitingly different Albany International. Let's see who gets the rarest beast (he said knowing he will loose)

Gobble Gobble
    Manny Gonzalez