Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD Chopper Down at Floyd Bennett Field

NYPD Chopper Down at Floyd Bennett Field

An NYPD helicopter plopped into the water near Floyd Bennett Field this afternoon according to some of the firebuffs on Twitter. Sounds like everyone is okay, but I'm guessing the chopper might not be. Will post more info as it comes in...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Chopper is upright in Jamaica Bay about 50 feet from shore, according to FDNY.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

they should scramble the rescue cho......oh, sorry

I had to do it!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Reports that it was an emergency landing, floats were deployed, no injuries.

At least nobody was hurt in the incident. I wonder what the problem with the chopper was, though...
    Adam Sheinhaus

Quote Originally Posted by adscram14 View Post
    At least nobody was hurt in the incident.......
    I agree
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    was it a 119 or a 412? hope it wasn't one of the new bells!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

It was N412PD...some reports indicating that it ran out of fuel but no confirmation yet.

Daily News photo

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    It was N412PD...some reports indicating that it ran out of fuel but no confirmation yet.

Daily News photo
    damn... well that's what floats are for! electronics underneath are prob gone but the rest of the ship ought to be ok.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

If they ran out of fuel there will be a position open in the Aviation Unit and a cop walking a very lonely foot post.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    If they ran out of fuel there will be a position open in the Aviation Unit and a cop walking a very lonely foot post.
    LOL I was thinking the same thing. And that copter is brand spanking new. As of 6:05 I saw on Eyewitness News it was still sitting in the water by the back of AU base.

Heres another shot. Looks like one of the rotors snapped and hit the windshield.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...103559974.html

And this after an Air-sea drill recently.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...obref=obinsite

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Heres another shot. Looks like one of the rotors snapped and hit the windshield.
    the rotor most likely hit the water when the pilot set it down. [IMG]http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/600*450/air-sea.JPG[/IMG]

Detective Erin Nolan was the pilot. Detective Jimmy Varga co-pilot.
    Erin is the first female NYPD pilot qualified to to command the Air-Sea Rescue Bell 412.
    Found this great article about her from the Wall Street Journal. The crew was in good hands.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...104616034.html

Wow, just saw it in the paper this morning. I've been mostly off the aviation grid for the week. Good to know all are well.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"