Page 5 of 221 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008

3/17

After my weekly job search/therapy meeting, I was hanging out at FRG waiting to meet some friends for lunch when I heard rotors thumping past. Looked up to see this guy taxi up to the terminal. They sat there about for 10 minutes, with the engines running, then taxied out and departed again. Maybe the pilot needed to hit the head

Check out News12 landing in the background.

One of the airport Ops/ARFF guys was marshaling them out, and when he saw me by the fence taking pictures, he started waving and pointing. I waved back then returned to the car. As they taxied by, I got out and took some more shots, and he started heading my way again. I just waved and left.

BTW - today is "National Check Your ISO Day". Was shooting last night, and forgot to reset my ISO from 400, so I couldn't figure out at first why I was getting shutter speeds of 1/2000 at f/7.1.

> They sat there about for 10 minutes, with the engines running, then taxied out and departed again. Maybe the pilot needed to hit the head <

You know that could be closer to the truth than you think. Over the years I've seen lots of
    military helos stop at FRG, especially over by the Jet Center, for about 30 minutes to an hour
    then head out again. Depending how far their flight is they could be grabbing a bite to eat,
    stretch their legs, bathroom and up and out.

>One of the airport Ops/ARFF guys was marshaling them out, and when he saw me by the fence taking pictures, he started waving and pointing. I waved back then returned to the car. As they taxied by, I got out and took some more shots, and he started heading my way again. I just waved and left.<

Mmmm, that is interesting. I've been there plenty of times,as have you,and never saw that before.
    Maybe he just wanted to meet the legendary "Moose" :lol:
    GREAT shots!!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

moose, nice work. who cares about the ISO when the subjuest is so beautiful...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Nice shot, wondering what the door emblem is for. Also, they're flying with the " Disco Ball." Don't see it that often.

>Nice shot, wondering what the door emblem is for.<

Interesting. I've seen lots of ANG Hawks but dont remember seeing that "National Guard" emblem. Is that
    something new? Maybe to differentiate from "regular" army?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Nice shot, wondering what the door emblem is for. Also, they're flying with the " Disco Ball." Don't see it that often.
    true, rare to see a guard bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    >Nice shot, wondering what the door emblem is for.<

Interesting. I've seen lots of ANG Hawks but dont remember seeing that "National Guard" emblem. Is that
    something new? Maybe to differentiate from "regular" army?
    from what i remember they're usually put on guard helos that do either VIP or media flights.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Almost looks like the birds from the NY Army Air Nat'l Guard @ ISP.

The other day
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I can't count how many times that fence on New Highway gets destroyed....Just this year alone I've seen it wrecked 5 or more times. I'm waiting for either the State or the Town to put in a guard rail. The person was prob speeding hit one of the craters in that road and lost control. Even the most bombed out road in Iraq isn't as bad as New Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    The other day

Looking at that accident.. there is another one might be getting cleared out.. but the crime scene was all over it and a nicely smashed up car along the cemetery fence..

and we actually had an interesting day that day when the blackhawk here, we had the US Navy Kingair Be-300, and a sikorski s-92 which was absolutely crazy looking!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Even the most bombed out road in Iraq isn't as bad as New Highway.
    LOL!! sad, but so true. there doesn't look to be that much damage tot hat SUV though.

> The person was prob speeding hit one of the craters in that road and lost control. Even the most bombed out road in Iraq isn't as bad as New Highway.<

LOL you are so right!! And I'm surprised there arent more crashes. I've lost count of the number of cars that have
    blown past me because they thought I was going too slow.

>and we actually had an interesting day that day when the blackhawk here, we had the US Navy Kingair Be-300, and a sikorski s-92 which was absolutely crazy looking!<

Another reason I love FRG. You never know who might be visiting.

The issue with new hwy is because the rain washes the side of the road out leaving the very edge of the road much higher. If you are driving and happen to look away at an aircraft and you slip off the side of the road, you try to put the car back on the road.....THAT IS WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! The tire has a hard time on the lip and you pull the weel left until you clear it and are now sailing into the other lane.... This one here involded another car

The ONLY way to fix new Hwy is to pave about 3 feet out from the roads edge on each side. Only then will the fence repairmen have the weekend off! :borat:

For now, if you go off the road.....KEEP GOING OFF. You can go off the road doing 100MPH and you will have no problem.... Try getting back on the road at any speed right now is just not possible.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".