Page 63 of 221 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008/2009

>There was quite a crowd around the airport to watch this guy depart. He had about 20 family members come down to see him off, and everyone got to climb on the jet for a picture before he fired up. We almost ran out of daylight by the time they were done![/quote]

Awesome shots. I drove past around 3 and saw you and a few others in the lot but by that time I had to drive to Merrick to pick
    up my daughter. Thought about coming back after I dropped her off but didnt have the energy.
    Gotta love FRG, ya never know who or what might drop in.
    Any "official" reason why the jet was here?

Sorry I could not see the Departure but here are just a few...And if we took off from Farmingdale does not count?

Ducking out of the rain under the wing

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

A few visitors from last week that have already been reported...now shown:

Air Canada A320, brought the Carolina Hurricanes in to face the Islanders.

Two military choppers arrived Thursday night, the night before Obama went to CT.

Thanks again for the heads up on the Anniversary F/A-18. What a great visitor to have at Farmingdale. Made it out there late Sunday morning for a few pictures.

Met two very nice gentlemen unfortunately I didn't get there names. If they are on here I was the guy with the portable scaffold/platform.

Really wish I could have made it for the departure but my son's hockey ran late and we missed it.

Great departure shots "Moose!"

One from Sunday afternoon.

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    john, do you know what unit is that H-60 from?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Very cool John! Great catch on the two VH-60s! In case anyone is wondering, the first is 82-23742 and the second 81-23594. Both are assigned to the 12th Aviation Battalion, Military District of Washington, based out of Fort Belvoir, VA. Very nice shots, John!

Nice shots, Fred (Derf!) It's good that you were able to get some shots in the rain Saturday night.

And Fred K - that was Isaac and me that you met shooting the Hornet - I'm the guy with the beard, Isaac is the guy without the beard :D It was great meeting you, and thanks for the use of the stepladder!

ETA - Matt, looks like I was typing my reply when you asked the question. Spooky, isn't it?

[quote="moose135"]Very cool John! Great catch on the two VH-60s! In case anyone is wondering, the first is 82-23742 and the second 81-23594. Both are assigned to the 12th Aviation Battalion, Military District of Washington, based out of Fort Belvoir, VA. Very nice shots, John!

Excellent shots and LOVE the black and gold colors. Very very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065
    Thanks again for the heads up on the Anniversary F/A-18. What a great visitor to have at Farmingdale. Made it out there late Sunday morning for a few pictures.

Met two very nice gentlemen unfortunately I didn't get there names. If they are on here I was the guy with the portable scaffold/platform.

Really wish I could have made it for the departure but my son's hockey ran late and we missed it.

Great departure shots "Moose!"

One from Sunday afternoon.
    It was nice talking with you Fred ... and thanks for the use of the platform.

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    ETA - Matt, looks like I was typing my reply when you asked the question. Spooky, isn't it?
    well, you do know what they say about great minds moose...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

did some more research when i got home. looks like these two VH-60s are assigned to Charlie Company, and are two of only five VH-60s flown by the US Army.
    Charlie Company is responsible for the priority air transport of Congress, the senior leadership of the Department of Department of Defense and other federal and state agencies in the National Capital Region. In addition to the priority air transport mission, the unit also supports the military District of Washington's contingency mission as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by "cancidas[quote
    Charlie Company is responsible for the priority air transport of Congress, the senior leadership of the Department of Department of Defense and other federal and state agencies in the National Capital Region. In addition to the priority air transport mission, the unit also supports the military District of Washington's contingency mission as necessary.
    [/quote]

Well, being they parked right outside my office window, I can confirm they arrived with just the flight crew and 2 ground support personnel each. All were in fatigues, no "senior leadership" members were on board.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas

did some more research when i got home. looks like these two VH-60s are assigned to Charlie Company, and are two of only five VH-60s flown by the US Army.
    Thats very interesting. All the times I've been to DC and never saw these guys, only the regular VIP white-top ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Thats very interesting. All the times I've been to DC and never saw these guys, only the regular VIP white-top ships.
    the white-tops are HMX-1 based in Quantico, VA but operate out of Naval Support Facility Anacostia across the river from KDCA.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    the white-tops are HMX-1 based in Quantico, VA but operate out of Naval Support Facility Anacostia across the river from KDCA.
    Right. When I was down there last August the UH-1Ns were all over the place but I've never seen these beauty VH-60s. And I've
    been going down to DC at least once a year for the last 27 years. My wife lived down their for 10 years (H.S.)and we have many
    friends there we visit.

a little late to the party as usual, but here are my Hornet shots.

Resting at night

Early morning

Takeoff roll

Wheels up

Go to my Flickr site for larger sizes.