Page 55 of 221 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008/2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    . No tail number but a quick look through my binocs saw it to be Al Cerullos N355AG (Which I figured). They took off direct from the dolly out to the SW. I recall reading this week there was going to be some type of beach "landings" or something in the NYC/LI area to promote the movie (Aug 8 in theaters near you). This copter must be involved.:
    I was sitting on the beach in Atlantic Beach Friday early PM where it did a low fly-by....I was actually going to ask for the tail number here as I couldnt catch it....Thanks :D

>I was sitting on the beach in Atlantic Beach Friday early PM where it did a low fly-by....I was actually going to ask for the tail number here as I couldnt catch it....Thanks :D[/quote]<

The tail number was blocked out with black paint when I saw it but seeing a TwinStar at FRG involved in some type of Movie/TV
    job and I know that Al Cerullo and 355AG is involved.

I was sitting on the beach in Atlantic Beach Friday early PM where it did a low fly-by....I was actually going to ask for the tail number here as I couldnt catch it....Thanks :D[/quote]

I was on Atlantic Beach on sunday doing some spotting :borat:................ and saw that same helicopter doing a very low flyby

"Flight Check 55", the FAA Lear 60, was testing the ILS-14 approach this morning. Made several low approaches, then departed the area. Told tower they were having some "computer glitches" with the equipment in the back, and needed to terminate the test, and were probably heading back to AC.

A US Navy UC-12B from Patuxent River NAS came in about 1:30 this afternoon just before the weather hit. When I
    passed by at 4:30 after navigating the New Highway River it was still parked at Sheltair.

Are they filming a movie over by R 32 where the blimp crews usually set up? Saw lots of trucks along the tree line
    and even by the lot where the Headstone store is. Looked like movie trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Are they filming a movie over by R 32 where the blimp crews usually set up? Saw lots of trucks along the tree line
    and even by the lot where the Headstone store is. Looked like movie trucks.
    From the signs, I believe it's for a new HBO series Boardwalk Empire.

Saw this colorful Legacy over at Atlantic this afternoon:

>From the signs, I believe it's for a new HBO series Boardwalk Empire.<

Thanks. Interesting location to film.

Saw this colorful Legacy over at Atlantic this afternoon:
    [/quote]

Yeah I saw that too. They had taxied over to 3-2 to depart, sat awhile then taxied back and re-positioned to
    Runway 1 and finally took off.

I've just recently moved to the area, and while I've got the camera gear and a lot of photo experience, I've never photographed planes.

I work near Republic and I'm thinking of heading down there after work a few nights to see what I can get photos of. Anyone care to share any tips with a complete amateur at this stuff? Are there any spots where it's more advisable to park, or places to avoid?

Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    I've just recently moved to the area, and while I've got the camera gear and a lot of photo experience, I've never photographed planes.
    I work near Republic and I'm thinking of heading down there after work a few nights to see what I can get photos of. Anyone care to share any tips with a complete amateur at this stuff? Are there any spots where it's more advisable to park, or places to avoid?
    Any help would be great.
    Welcome John,
    If you are coming by in the afternoon/evenings, the best place to spot is between the main terminal and the 56th Fighter group restaurant. You will not get hasseled, and you will often find people just hanging around watching the comings & goings. Only thing I would mention, is that Friday's the 56th has happy hour and the valets may use that lot for parking. Otherwise you normally have nothing to worry about. I work on the field, so we may bump into each other at some point...you will most likely run into Moose as well, he's a regular around here. If you see anyone shooting there with big white lenses, say hello.

John

So I stopped by tonight, probably around 5:30 - 6:00. I hadn't ever been to the airport so I took a lap around to see some of the places that look like they'd be good, and then stopped for 10 mins to just see a few small planes come / go. Got a few pictures, nothing great, but it was mostly just a trip to explore....

flickr links:

I might stop by one or two days this week at lunch time, if not I'll likely stop by after work. Do people just check flightaware to try and plan what they might see?

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    Do people just check flightaware to try and plan what they might see?
    Basically, that's it. FRG is not a commercial airport, so GA traffic is the norm. Kalitta does a few 727 charters a week when Belmont is open for business. Other than that, the summer is not too interesting at FRG. Once hockey season starts, there are quite a few charters that show up, either to pickup the NY Islanders -or- bringing in teams to play the Islanders. Last year, aside from the Miami Air 737's we also got a Pace 737, two Swift Air 737's, Northwest A319, and a few Air Canada A319's. All of the hockey charters DO show up on FlightAware.

Happy Shooting!

Look Fred, it's a Gorshack! For the rest of us, it's a T-45C Goshawk, out of VT-9 in Meridan, MS

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

For those who are wondering the T-45C is still there an parked at Sheltair.

Also it has a sign on it do not paint, but I dont know if its part of the plane or if they are servicing it.
    Sorry about the bad quality

Also the fence repairmen are gonna have fun this time:

http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    Also it has a sign on it do not paint, but I dont know if its part of the plane or if they are servicing it.
    Looks like an antenna on the top of the aircraft. Not sure how they paint the "Do Not Paint" sign on it :D