Page 48 of 221 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008/2009

Mario is still on Catskills Time! :shock:

That takeoff by the C-17 was just INSANE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Looking at their schedule I guess they were heading out to the USAF academy for a Wed performance?
    Graduation Ceremonies perhaps?

Colorado Springs for the Graduation then a short jump to South Dakota for next weekends show.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Memorial Day Weekend in NY is Magical to me, but talking about an entire weekend could take a lifetime. This is about 1 hour.

Backround-
    Wanting to see Bill Reesman fly his Red Bull Mig-17, I had no idea how much impact it could really have on me. It started
    when I walked up the Bill on the ramp when he arrived Monday before airshow weekend. I was talking to him about the
    unknown “penny” on the T-6. After looking at my shots on one of my personal books I made, we talked about when he
    used to shoot medium format photography and loved to make sure people were not in his shots. I was telling him how I
    loved night photography. A few days later I was with my best friend Moose (John Musolino) and asked if it was possible to
    do a flyby of the old control tower during the airshow. Bill told Moose and I that he can not put extra fuel in as per the
    show, he needs to be almost empty for the routine and can not do any flybys after as he is always running low. After a
    good nights rest, Bill stops by and was telling my how much he admired my shots on my website and to say I was HONORED
    was the proverbial understatement of the year. This guy looks at pro's shooting airshows of his aircraft all the time and
    stopped by when he was very busy and rushed prepping for an airshow to tell me how much he admired the shots on my
    site. So now when we fast forward a few days,

AIRSHOW SUNDAY
    He's getting ready to for airshow and starts the engines and lets it run for about 1 1/2 minute when he shuts down. I am
    now really bummed as this Sexy Screaming little red flaming Mig is just eye candy for me and it seems it is not going
    anywhere. I really wanted to see the burner flames as he roars down the runway again. Then I found that EVERYTHING HAS
    STOPPED due to bad weather at the airshow. I now had time to go downstairs to the SheltAir FBO where my friend Lionel
    always allows me to enjoy the AC and some popcorn with a fresh cup of the best coffee you ever had. I spoke with the A-
    10 Demo team pilot there who told me the bad news.... NO VISIBILTIY at the beach and it looked like the airshow may be
    over. At that time my very good friend Paul F Who flys the Harvard (T-6 Texan) Dazzlin Deb calls me to tell me that he is
    going to do three flybys along with the American Airpower Museum’s T-6 flown by Ryan to keep the crowd at the Museum
    going. He asked me if there was anything I needed and replyed asking him to dip the wing for me. As always, Paul Smiled as
    I could see it thru the phone.

Paul F. and his Harvard

Ryan and the AAM's T-6

Now that the passes were done, I see Bill getting into his Parashoot in RECORD TIME and he Started the Mig and was
    starting to taxi in like 30 seconds.... He turns on to the active and does a nice rolling start and lays on the burner and he is
    gone leaving the earth quivering into submission. Man that thing is LOUD!

After a while at Jones Beach, Bill comes back and starts his downwind. As I broke my other lens earlier during the airshow
    and my best friend Moose had lent me his Canon 70-200 2.8L $1300.00 lens (LOT OF LOVE THERE as my cheap lens is only
    worth about $130!) I could not wait for Bill to give me a great smoky touchdown shot as he says he PLANTS the aircraft
    hard to kill 10kts immediately.......THEN HE DOES IT!

(look at how many people are watching....and is he doing this for me????)

HOLY CRAP, I COULD NOT BELEVE IT....THE NEXT DAY I still could not believe it, and still today can not. I must have
    taken about 30 shots of the flyby and EVERY shot was CRYSTAL CLEAR! Mooses lens, My 40D camera THE PLANE!!!! My
    True love will always be big round motors and the air-cooled redundancy of being able to loose a cylinder and still get the
    pilot home. Hearing a cylinder fire, then 3 then 6 and then feeling the shutter of the rpms as all 9 cylinders roars to takeoff
    power of a T-6/SNJ/Harvard is just music to my ears...but the Mig is just a screamer….but only until the burners are lit, the
    it SHAKES THE WORLD. This is just 1 hour of a weekend that will be forever etched in my memory. Great friends and their
    awesome toys! I still shake my head in disbelief.

There are a million more stories of big round motors and Magic from this weekend alone, but this stuff only happens at the
    AAM. I do not write often as I am not good with words....but you can always check my website for my many fun pictures
    of the adventures that Paul, Moose, Larry, Gary, Jim, Chris, Scott, Frank, Fred ...... and my new friend Bill Reesman take me
    on.

But ONLY at the American Airpower Museum.....the Where History Flys!
    (sorry Gary…. I had to say it!)

Dedicated to Bob, as he touched the face of God practicing for this airshow.

WE MISS YOU even tho we still see you in the shadow of a P-51
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Just past noon today I heard a blast overhead.

I assume the last Tbird has left the area (and took with it a few singles off the roof of the office!)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Fred, you're THE MAN! It's always a pleasure to shoot with you - we always have the best adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie

I assume the last Tbird has left the area (and took with it a few singles off the roof of the office!)
    Probably the Snowbirds, they were scheduled to leave late this morning. All the T-Birds were gone yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie

A few single Snowbirds flew out earlier then around noon the last 8 Snowbirds flew out. They took off in pairs and joined up just East of the airport and did one final flyover before turning North and heading to Kingston.

What a bunch of class acts. I can't wait to see them in Rhode Island.

A few from Monday 5/25 at Farmingdale of the T-39 and T-45.

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

In the thick of the fog I get to the office today around 1145am and what do I see taxiing away from the main terminal... 05-1436... C-130 from the RI Air National Guard, callsign was "Mooney 1" and he blasted off Rwy 14. Based on the conversation I heard, it had something to do with airshow equipment as the tower thanked them for visiting, and they said..."Yep, see ya next year."

Just an update to this question, yes Talon Air does now manage N818KC - Challenger 300.
    The owners got burned in the JetDirect bankruptcy, and wanted to stay in FRG. They felt Talon was their best option of who was left. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Quote Originally Posted by planelove
    Thanks. I know their site and planes but the Challenger is not listed and I have never seen it. That is why i was asking

It could be an error on FA.
    I swung by the area last week, after driving home from LGA...and Challenger 300 - N818KC was parked at the Talon Air Hangar. Now, this used to belong to Summit / JetDirect / Sentient /Jet Direct II (whatever they are now.) Maybe with JetDirect II filing bankruptcy the owners brought the aircraft to Talon. I'm at LGA for another 2 weeks, so, I'm out of the loop as to what's happening at FRG.

[quote="fk6065"]A few from Monday 5/25 at Farmingdale of the T-39 and T-45.

Nice shots. I got to the movie theater lot just in time to see one T-45 and one T-39 blast over my head.
    Pretty loud.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    In the thick of the fog I get to the office today around 1145am and what do I see taxiing away from the main terminal... 05-1436... C-130 from the RI Air National Guard, callsign was "Mooney 1" and he blasted off Rwy 14. Based on the conversation I heard, it had something to do with airshow equipment as the tower thanked them for visiting, and they said..."Yep, see ya next year."

I'm not 100% but I think they were there to pick up the arresting gear. They took it apart yesterday and brought it over to the main terminal where they had a whole bunch of Airforce equip staged. It was probably on loan form R.I. ANG.

Did the A-10's get out today? If so, anybody have any parting shots of them?

The A-10's were still there today? Darn I was off today and missed the C-130 and the A-10's. Of course this disappointment is after shooting over 5000 images last wekk alone.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

As an interesting note on the "Sabreliners" at least one crew or at least the one that I met was 3/4 German. Three out of four were actually from the German Air Force and the lady from the crew was a stone cold stunner. :borat: Also had the pleasure of meeting and spending a breif time with the crews of the T45's in town. Great gang from the Navy/USMC all together.
    I made the call behind the stall, I'm going in for guns-Dos Gringo

So I wasnt going to go by FRG today but my wife and daughter and I went to the Home Depot then Modells then they
    went to Audrey Rose so that left me out. LOL!! So I took a flyby of the airport. Gotta tell you it was kinda depressing.
    Quiet, empty and no action!! But after last week that was expected but still...... What is it only 355 days till next years show?!! :)