Page 37 of 221 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008/2009

Personally, I think that foggy, rainy background is absolutely perfect.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

She arrived around 9:30. I missed the arrival, but our friend from Staten Island was there for it! They began tours by 10am, and Fred (Derf, not Kopf) and I spent a few hours shooting and talking with the NOAA folks.

They have another WP-3 named "Kermit" and a Gulfstream named "Gonzo"

The weather sure seemed appropriate for a hurricane hunter, although being based in Florida, it was a little colder then they are accustomed to. :D

They are spending the night, haven't heard anything on when they are departing in the morning.

Hi Moose,

Great shots as always, but who would expect anything less.

I saw you and Derf/Fred walking around getting your shots. I was the guy in the blue sweatshirt weight testing the picnic table by the fence.

Personally, I think that foggy, rainy background is absolutely perfect.
    I agree. I asked one of the C.A.P. guards when she came in and said sometime before 10AM but, "It was all foggy and rainy," to which I replied, "Yeah that's OK how cool would it be to shoot a hurricane hunter coming out of the fog."

If anybody gets a departure time, please pass it along.

Thanks,

Fred
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Hey, they look very similar! :)
    I was able to run over and was a bit disappointed to see it already sitting there.
    Just as I was walking up to it a 727 that said Kalitta Charter II landed out of the fog!
    Camera was still in the bag. Would have made a nice shot with the jet spray being
    kicked up on the runway...

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

I went there around 1ish and took some pics, then I saw tim in the main terminal, and talked.....then the fox 5 people came up to him and his son for an interview and the were interviewed, the best part of it was when his son was waving to the news 12 helicopter and fox was giving him the interview.....I am going to post my pics soon.

EDIT- I talked to the NOAA guys and they said wheels up at about 7:00-7:30 AM

Fox 5 news covered the event so watch it tonight maybe tim might be on.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Great shots and reporting by all. Cool looking ship but was wondering what the heck the Dept. Of Commerce has to do with hurricane hunting but went to their website and read their mission statement.
    http://dms.osec.doc.gov/cgi-bin/doit.cg ... 4ea5be:288

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    She arrived around 9:30. I missed the arrival, but our friend from Staten Island was there for it! They began tours by 10am, and Fred (Derf, not Kopf) and I spent a few hours shooting and talking with the NOAA folks.
    Lol we have another member on the forum from Staten Island? I thought I was the only one.
    Great coverage guys! After seeing your photos I really wish I could have made it out there.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    I went there around 1ish and took some pics, then I saw tim in the main terminal, and talked.....then the fox 5 people came up to him and his son for an interview and the were interviewed, the best part of it was when his son was waving to the news 12 helicopter and fox was giving him the interview.....I am going to post my pics soon.

Nice meeting you today pal!

You and your mom are very nice and it was a pleasure to chat with you two.

My son was acting like a 2 year old today but we still got to get the full tour none the less. The NOAA guys did a great job at showing the plane and speaking about their experiences. They were talking about flying out of Macdill in Tampa during the season and then bouncing all over the place for the rest of the year doing various assignments. They just got back from counting seals in Alaska for the last couple of months.

I think the interview will be on FOX 5 10:00 news. My son started fidgeting in the middle of the interview so I'm not sure how it will come out but I did laugh when he got excited and started waving to NEWS12 chopper.

On a side note, the camera man is actually a pilot and he said that he's getting into the aerobatic stuff. He hopes to get into the Jones Beach show next year. I can't remember his name but I told him about NYCAVIATION so hopefully he'll post here.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

[quote=Big Tim #70]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fighting_falcon_51":30wb7c08

Nice meeting you today pal!

You and your mom are very nice and it was a pleasure to chat with you two.

My son was acting like a 2 year old today but we still got to get the full tour none the less. The NOAA guys did a great job at showing the plane and speaking about their experiences. They were talking about flying out of Macdill in Tampa during the season and then bouncing all over the place for the rest of the year doing various assignments. They just got back from counting seals in Alaska for the last couple of months.

I think the interview will be on FOX 5 10:00 news. My son started fidgeting in the middle of the interview so I'm not sure how it will come out but I did laugh when he got excited and started waving to NEWS12 chopper.

On a side note, the camera man is actually a pilot and he said that he's getting into the aerobatic stuff. He hopes to get into the Jones Beach show next year. I can't remember his name but I told him about NYCAVIATION so hopefully he'll post here.[/quote:30wb7c08]
    Before I saw a commercial for the 6:00 news and it had the plane but I was unable to catch it.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

You know me, I couldn't resist a few night shots...

Really like number 3
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

holy crap batman!.. i dont see fred for a good month and hes cut his hair!!.. ill give yo a buzz tomorrow fred!.. been working so much i havent had a minute to give you a buzz back.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    i love this shot moose! the blue taxiway edge lights contrast nicely to the dark ground, and work well with the blue cheatline on the airplane itself. glad you did it at the end of twilight instead of after dark. nice shot!

and fred, why'd you part with the samurai doo?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

LOL!

They asked me why I was there and I said, "To see the P3"! Apparently, they wanted me to talk about hurricane readiness... :lol:

It was a cool thing to see in either case.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/weather/seve ... _Hurricane

BTW, I wish I knew my face was that fat and when did I get so bald? :oops:
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    ...........and fred, why'd you part with the samurai doo?
    I COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE! It was always in my face and inbetween my camera and my eye. I was asked to grow
    it log....DONE and GONE! :borat:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70
    LOL!

They asked me why I was there and I said, "To see the P3"! Apparently, they wanted me to talk about hurricane readiness... :lol:

It was a cool thing to see in either case.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/weather/seve ... _Hurricane

BTW, I wish I knew my face was that fat and when did I get so bald? :oops:
    Very Cool! Thanks for posting the video

Here are a few shots of mine

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".