Page 25 of 221 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Re: Today at Farmingdale 2008

Global Express LX-FLY is at Atlantic now preparing for departure...hoping to grab a shot while on my lunch break.
    update...
    ...Shot taken will post tonight...FYI its still at Atlantic 2+ hours after they started the APU.
    ....here she is...

Saw that plane yesterday afternoon when I did a quick swing by. What does the"LX" stand for?

BTW guys why does Talon Air have a Homeland Security marked car parked in the lot behind the hangar and a space reserved for DHS also out front? Do they fly that many international flights?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    Saw that plane yesterday afternoon when I did a quick swing by. What does the"LX" stand for?
    Luxemborg....check out all the Cargolux freighters..(LX-MCV; LX-NCV; etc... etc...)

BTW guys why does Talon Air have a Homeland Security marked car parked in the lot behind the hangar and a space reserved for DHS also out front? Do they fly that many international flights?
    US Customs is staffed for 1 inspector per shift for the Long Island area, that covers FRG, ISP & FOK. They used to be based in Atlantic's FBO when they had a larger staff (2 per shift), but about 2 years ago they had cutbacks and all of Long Island was covered by the JFK office! After about a year, JFK realized that there was too much international traffic on LI to leave it covered by "the city folk" and that's when it got increased to 1 per shift on LI again. Problem was, by this time, Atlantic re-leased the office that US Customs had. So Talon Air had all these empty offices in that huge building of theirs, they "offered" an empty office and parking spot to them. (I'm sure at a reasonable cost ) I'm sure it doesn't hurt them when they have an arrival that the officers can sit in their own office while waiting for the flight to arrive.
    Now here's a few things a lot of folks don't know
    1) US Customs does NOT staff the Island on federal holidays, so, any international arrivals on those days have to stop someplace else (JFK, LGA, Bangor, ME, Wilmington, NC, etc) before landing on Long Island.

2) US Customs dictates when you arrive on LI. You submit your requests as early as a few days ahead of time, and the day before you are to arrive, Customs will tell you when they can clear your flight. So...if 1 company has an aircraft due FRG @ 1600, and another company has one due ISP @ 1610, US Customs will tell you who will be cleared when. It's mostly determined on where the Inspector who is meeting the flight is coming from.

3) The fun part is when multiple aircraft want to arrive the same airport at the same time, at different FBO's. That happened this June after the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. 2 aircraft were going to FOK, ISP had 2 arrivals, and FRG had 4 arrivals. Customs that day said ISP first, then FOK, then FRG. That day there was also a nice T-storm that hit right around the time everyone was due back, some aircraft elected to wait their turn, the FOK aircraft and 1 ISP aircraft decided to clear at another airport, then proceed to their destination. (How and why do I know this? I had 1 make it in on schedule, the other cleared in Burlington, VT before going to ISP).

If you guys have any questions about this stuff hit me up off-line I'll explain more.

Had a feeling the "LX" was what you explained but waited for a pro to confirm. :lol:
    The Customs story was very interesting.
    Thanks for both answers.

One more pic from the airport
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    that's true. taking 6-8 oz of alcohol after ingesting glycol forces the glycol to pass through your liver before it's broken down, thus keeping your body from poisoning itself.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Beautiful day for flying and a ride by FRG around 12:30 sure showed that to be true. I counted 12 aircraft in line for
    Runway Three-Two and a steady stream of inbounds also. All those aircraft kept the Tower very busy.

>One thing for sure, no matter what the weather those EMbraer 120s fly in just about every type of weather.<

Thats for sure (responding to myself)! :D
    Last night I was watching the NFL playoff game and totally forgot I had my scanner tuned in to FRG freq. Around
    11:20 here comes the EMB 120, N651CT,on ILS One-Four. Went out to my backyard and heard them but sure as heck
    didnt see them with the low ceiling and at the time it was precipitating freezing rain. Pretty nasty.

>One thing for sure, no matter what the weather those EMbraer 120s fly in just about every type of weather.<

Thats for sure (responding to myself)! :D
    Last night I was watching the NFL playoff game and totally forgot I had my scanner tuned in to FRG freq. Around
    11:20 here comes the EMB 120, N651CT,on ILS One-Four. Went out to my backyard and heard them but sure as heck
    didnt see them with the low ceiling and at the time it was precipitating freezing rain. Pretty nasty.
    Gotta keep those gamblers happy!

Here is a new visitor

Leaving tonight after the game....

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Does a 727 really have the range to make it to LI all the way from New Jersey?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

The Devils hate the Earth.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

>Does a 727 really have the range to make it to LI all the way from New Jersey?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?<

As much as I dislike the Devils......they must have flown in directly from their game in Columbus last night and probably
    heading out to Nashville after tonites game against the Islanders for Monday nights game.

[quote="Derf"]Here is a new visitor

Great pictures!!! I got to see that beast fly over my house last night. When it gets warm i will be over there all the time. i can't deal with the cold

Great shots everybody!

Just wondering if anyone has any idea when the advance jet for the Thunderbirds, # 7 &/ # 8 might be coming in to preplan this years air show?

Thanks
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com