Page 195 of 221 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 3308

Thread: Republic Farmingdale (FRG) Notable Visitors

Red Wings DC-9 N682RW sitting by fence at Sheltair but no team markings on the fuselage.
    USCG 6591 (ASAC) in from SW to Atlantic for fuel and rest.
    Mechanics tearing apart a private jet parked on back tarmac of Sheltair. Parts being place on two flatbed trailers.

FYI- The Red Wings aren't flying their DC-9 anymore and that was actually their MD-81 at FRG today.
    It's a pretty sweet looking aircraft and here's a video link to see a cool inside tour of it also.
    http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videoc...sole?id=121800

That biz jet was N404JW. It has been sitting idle at Sheltair for at least 2 years now. If I recall correctly, it was a repossession, and now is probably worth more in parts than as a complete ship. It was built in 1974, c/n 29, last registered to : FALLEN TRADING. Kind of ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    FYI- The Red Wings aren't flying their DC-9 anymore and that was actually their MD-81 at FRG today.
    Hey Chris when I looked up the reg it says DC-9-81 (MD-81) so whats the difference?
    Thanks!!

That's right, the MD-81 is really just the upgraded second generation (Series 80) of DC-9s. I meant to say the Red Wings aren't flying their "Old" DC-9-51 anymore, ( the one with the "Red Wings" and "Detroit Tigers" team markings on it), that you were referring to, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Mechanics tearing apart a private jet parked on back tarmac of Sheltair. Parts being place on two flatbed trailers.
    Saw something like that a few years back down by the small hangars at the south end. A Lear flew through hail on approach, and was an insurance write-off.

About 2:30PM today a USCG MH-60 Jayhawk, from USCG Air Station Cape Cod, sitting on the ramp by Sheltaire. Took off about 3:45PM heading north east. Missed the take off but caught it on the ground.

Last edited by fk6065; 2013-11-24 at 09:50 PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    About 2:30PM today a USCG MH-60 Jayhawk, from USCG Air Station Cape Cod, sitting on the ramp by Sheltaire. Took off about 3:45PM heading north east. Missed the take off but caught it on the ground.

It was around 3:20 when they left. I was sitting in the lot off 1-9 by Dave & Busters when they took off into the wind (gusting up to almost 40MPH) then turned to the SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51 View Post
    Some shots from FRG today, still sorting through some more....

Great pics guys! I was rummaging through this thread when a pic of an old friend popped up. I soloed in N8149R in Nov. '83, at the ripe old age of 18. It's good to see that the old girl is still earning her keep. I also have a ton of time in N5860V, which is a '77 Arrow III that used to belong to a close family friend. It's still in service with Nassau Flyers. The very first hour recorded in my logbook was in '60V. Here's a pic of my dad and I after my first flight in Sept '81. This is what was NFI's ramp, but is now AAM's ramp between Hangar 3 and Sheltair. I've accumulated more than 20k hours since that humble flight up to Rhinebeck and back over 30 years ago.

KFRG is my old stomping ground, as I worked in MX at East Coast Airways from the summer of '82 until I "transferred" to Long Island Airlines in '86. I started washing airplanes and ended up as a pilot, flying PA-31-350s, Bonanza's, Barons, and pretty much every other recip airplane they had on the ramp.

It's neat seeing Hangar 2 being used by the AAM nowadays, as that hangar is the oldest structure on the field, and has seen some amazing history being made. It predates Seversky! I've got a cool picture of an XF91A sitting in that hangar on a dolly in the same spot that I used to do 50 hour inspections on Navajos... If the walls could talk.

I was up on LI this summer and stopped by FRG to see what was new. Gone are the days of walking the ramps and kicking tires! SIDA access now...... Totally different from when I worked there. Heck, shortly after Republic shut down, I walked across the approach end of 19 to the old factory hangar, who's door was partially open. I was able to explore much of the old factory. That'd probably be considered domestic terrorism nowadays! Sad that the history rich Republic factory is now a parking lot.

Thanks for the memories guys.... Keep up the awesome pics!
    Last edited by Slipkid65; 2013-11-29 at 07:51 PM.

Great story Slipkid!! If you are on Facebook they have a great Group "LI-Republic Airport Historical Society" that has tons of old pictures and stories about the booming days of Republic Airport!! It would be worth the time to check it out!!

Looks like Delta flew an MD90 into FRG to pickup the Capitals after their game vs. the Islanders. Almost...almost, makes me wish I was at work.

Yeah, last night the Red Wings had there MD-81 back at FRG again and tonight Delta used an MD-90 to pick up the Caps !

Great story Slipkid!! If you are on Facebook they have a great Group "LI-Republic Airport Historical Society" that has tons of old pictures and stories about the booming days of Republic Airport!! It would be worth the time to check it out!!
    Thanks! I was gonna start something like that! I'll definitely check it out!

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Very nice story Slipkid65! There is no other place on this world like FRG lol.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    We have a member at the club who flew P-47s in WWII. I just recently found out Republic made them in Indiana and FRG! That is insane!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol