Thread: B6 1085 JFK-CLT 28July

B6 1085 JFK-CLT 28July

After a remarkable three or four weeks off the road, it was time to bring out the old rollaboard and hit the highway--fly to Charlotte, meetings there on Wed, drive to Asheville, meeting Thursday, drive back to Charlotte and home Thursday...so after a great week with the new ride it was time to introduce it to JFK parking.

I got to the airport at around 3PM for a 4:12 flight-boarding pass in hand, I proceeded to security, had a NICE chat with the TSA agent checking id's, and as I was walking to the security checkpoint, I saw an agent carry a long wrapped object out of the Xray machine, and tell someone he couldn't bring this on an airplane--why? It was a SPEAR!!! I kid you not--now in hundreds of trips and airport security checks, this was a first-- a SPEAR!!!

After some of us wiped the amazement and laughter off our faces, we headed through security, and I made my way to the gate. This was a E-190 flight, and turned out pretty full, with lots of crying babies. They were anticipating a VERY early arrival in CLT, and we pushed back a few minutes ahead of schedule and headed out to what I assumed would be 13R--with the wind at about 150 over 10 kt. Come to think of it the captain even announced 13R....but when we got to the intersection of A or B and P (just past the PA PD), we stopped for about 10 minutes then headed down to the left---we wound up taking off on 31L adjacent to the DL terminal....something new again--a DOWNWIND takeoff .. As we left the gate they were still doing 13's , and the wind socks made 13's look necessary, but off 31L we went.....slow climb over CRI, and to the south, I noticed what appeared to be 2 big cells just south of Newark--we skirted it to the left on the way to RBV, then proceeded on the normal routing.

The on board service was great as usual--the only complaint was the old guy sitting next to me fell asleep with his hand on the armrest holding my TV controls and he seemed annoyed when I'd wake him up because I wanted to adjust volume or change channels..but oh well....

As luck would have it, we DID arrive in CLT about 25 minutes early-so early in fact we had to wait for the gate--the prior flight was just pushing back. We finally got to the gate, still 15 minutes early, I headed to the rental counter and picked up my car....and just as I got to my room, the storms started---heavy rain, wind and lots of thunder.

More to follow.....
    It's the fares, stupid

Re: B6 1085 JFK-CLT 28July

Art:
    Great report as usual & as usual another great(but to short) of a visit.

Please let me know when you go back Thurs in case we have time for lunch.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Good stuff. Waiting for the next installment.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

lots of crying babies
    That's why I never fly without my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones.

So after a great trip, including a meeting in Asheville, one of my favorite places, we headed back to CLT, arriving at the airport to tremendous crowds--not knowing we were arriving on the tail end of a security scare which resulted in the evacuation of A&B concourses...

Finally through security, I met my boss for a cocktail and then we went our separate ways. With an hour or more before my flight, I decided to walk into the US Airways Club to see if two of my old friends who I miss so much were working--and as luck would have it, they were seated next to each other at the desk. It was great to see them--and I expressed repeatedly that I felt bad about not being around to visit but I can't give my money to a company whose leaders treat both customers and employees with contempt...in any case, we had a great visit, but finally it was time to head to D6 the lone Jet Blue gate at CLT.

Realizing I was stuck in row 16 on the return (exit was booked), I went up to an agent and asked about a seat switch. She was just finishing closing the previous flight, and asked me to wait a minute, which I did gladly...finally, she offered me row 2 but aisle--I said fine, and when I offered to pay (Jet Blue charges for the first 4 rows--extra room), she declined, for which i was grateful.

Once on board, it was a quick hour 10 minute flight back to JFK, and although I had an aisle seat, the window was big enough to give me a good view--beginning the approach over Jones Beach, and arriving on 22L--right over my old stomping grounds.

Once on the ground, we taxied to the gate, arriving about 10-15 minutes ahead of schedule. I found my car (no I didn't go looking for the Infiniti), and made my way home, beating the LIE closure by a matter of minutes...

Overall a good trip, and Jet Blue comes through brilliantly as usual.
    It's the fares, stupid