Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisiest Passenger Jet ?

Noisiest Passenger Jet ?

I spent Wednesday at Flushing Meadows near LGA and noticed that the MD 80's departing from Rwy 13 were the noisiest jet I heard. In fact, you could tell they were overhead from the engine roar without even looking-up. My question is are these the noisiest passenger jets? Is there any way to muffle that roar? It must be annoying when they're playing a game over at Shea Stadium.

Re: Noisiest Passenger Jet ?

Currently in operation, the DC-9/MD-80 will be the loudest. You'll also get loud noise from 727s, but since you don't see them much, and they are not operated by an airlines, I woudn't count them.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Going back a bit further, however, I think we can all agree that the early 707s and DC8's were quite loud....
    And then there was Concorde.....

I lived 8 miles as the crow flies from JFK when growing up and I could hear Concorde taking off-while still on the ground!
    It's the fares, stupid

How about in pitch? The Concorde was a "rumble" loud. Aircraft like the 707, some with turbojets had a special "screech" to 'em. I remember spotting at JFK back in the late '70's and seeing/hearing a Bac-1-11 taking off. Talk about ear bleed.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Believe it or not, on the rare times that the Concorde departed from Rwy 4L from JFK, I could actually hear it take-off although I live in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. I could imagine the noise in Rosedale. Now, one of those engines is sitting idly in Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field, uncovered with birds nesting inside. I once felt the noise of Concorde landing as I was standing on Rockaway Blvd just before Concorde touched-down on Rwy 22L. I felt pain in my ear but it quickly subsided. It was thrilling for me as a plane spotter.

I remember being on the roof of the pan-am term. watching it take off and setting off car alarms in the parking lot.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Gulfstream II/III, Mitsubishi MU-2, Mitsubishi/Hawker/Beechcraft Beechjet, and Fairchild Merlin are by far the loudest biz-jets
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Mu-2, old gulfstreams with the stage 3 attachment on the engines.. and the noisest i have ever delt with.. the damn saberliner (the loudest most obnoxous plane ever).. IMO

Currently operating in major airline service in the U.S., the DC-9 has to take the cake.... That is just an awesome sound and sooo loud!
    nwa FOREVER!

In the late 70's and early 80's I used to be an avid reader of Aviation Week Magazine. (Could not afford a subscription so I rode my bike to the library every monday for the latest issue)

There were ads by McDonnel Douglas showing the noise footprint of the MD-80 and it was to be the "quiestest" commercial jetliner of the time. This allowed American and other airlines to use it in what was then "Noise Sensative" Burbank Airport in LA.

My favorite was the screech of the 707 and DC-8's (God I miss them)

One of the most distinct is the C5 Galaxy. Ive had it pass over a couple of times on its way to JFK 22L, it sounds like a room full of Hoover vacuum cleaners!

Il-62 with 4 engines stacked near eachother in the rear are my most nosy plane I heard.
    Guess that the VC-10 wasn´t too quiet either?

I LOVE WERNER KURPJUWEIT
    Last edited by LH_nach_Berlin; 2012-10-19 at 02:34 AM.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Quote Originally Posted by Alessio
    Il-62 with 4 engines stacked near eachother in the rear are my most nosy plane I heard.
    Guess that the VC-10 wasn´t too quiet either?
    I was going to say, what about the IL-62? Even the youtube videos of that thing are noisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Laxgoaly
    Gulfstream II/III, Mitsubishi MU-2, Mitsubishi/Hawker/Beechcraft Beechjet, and Fairchild Merlin are by far the loudest biz-jets
    Yesterday a Lear 25 took off from ISP. The noise was deafening, like it was ripping or "tearing" a hole in the air.

The Old G2/G3's also are right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    How about in pitch? The Concorde was a "rumble" loud. Aircraft like the 707, some with turbojets had a special "screech" to 'em. I remember spotting at JFK back in the late '70's and seeing/hearing a Bac-1-11 taking off. Talk about ear bleed.
    Absolutely.. The concorde was a rumble - like going to an airshow today. Those first generation commercial jets though.. BAC 1-11, Convair 880/990 etc. Those whines and screeches would clear an observation deck. Extremely painful to the ears. Like nothing today.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"