Thread: 25/05 Kalitta Air 747 incident at EBBR

25/05 Kalitta Air 747 incident at EBBR

Goodevening, goodafternoon,
    As you all probably know, last Sunday, a Kalitta Air 747 was forced to abort take off but ran out the airport perimeter and fence but fortunately the crew was OK. The first day, I didnot go to the airport due to all the people hanging around and the large perimeter around the plane. Since yesterday, the perimeter around the plane was made smaller because all fuel was out of the plane and danger for explosion was gone which able us to take more detailed pictures. See the results :

Regards, Karl

Re: 25/05 Kalitta Air 747 incident at EBBR

Honestly, I'm surprised they have not painted over the Kalitta Air logo by now. That's usually the first item on the to-do list after the imminent danger had past. Although the whole world knows what happened.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

that's amazing damage. did the airplane hit something or was that damage just caused by running along the ground? i wonder how they're going to get the cargo out of it...

as far as painting the logo goes anymore most carrier's won't do it. with all the media attention these days it could be made to look like the carrier were embarassed by what happenned. even though seeing an airplane like that hurts, especially financially it's an accident. WN is known to keep framed pix of their airplane that overran the runway in thier corporate offices as a reminder to employees that pass through that things can in fact go wrong and being vigilant in terms of safety is the best way to avoid them. i personally doubt you'll ever see a painted-over logo ever again.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Thats crazy, I wonder if any of the cargo got damaged.

Goodmorning, goodafternoon,
    that's amazing damage. did the airplane hit something or was that damage just caused by running along the ground? i wonder how they're going to get the cargo out of it...
    The plane skidded off the runway and hit the fences on the outside of the airport. The tailsection has been removed which means they will start offloading the cargo. According to official reports, the load is diplomatic material and will not be revealed but we all know that Kalitta flies for some governments. Moreover, since the incident, the plane is guarded by US Embassy people 24hrs a day.
    I wonder if any of the cargo got damaged.
    You can bet on it that some cargo will be damaged but fortunately the airlinecompany revealed that no hazardous or explosive material was on board.
    Regards, Karl

Sad to see one of those old birds go out like that, but definitely glad that the crew is ok. Great pictures Karl, thanks for bringing them to us!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Impressive photos.
    Tell me something KC. Do you think that on the weekend of 7-8 June the Kalitta will still be there blocking the 02/20 rwy?
    I read the NOTAM's for EBBR and the rwy seems to be closed only until the 4th of June, but that seems very early considering the delays on removing the fuel and the solutions they found to make it more stable. What's your opinion?

Sad to see such a classic go out like that....
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    The plane skidded off the runway and hit the fences on the outside of the airport. The tailsection has been removed which means they will start offloading the cargo. According to official reports, the load is diplomatic material and will not be revealed but we all know that Kalitta flies for some governments. Moreover, since the incident, the plane is guarded by US Embassy people 24hrs a day.
    [quote:2duslw51]I wonder if any of the cargo got damaged.
    You can bet on it that some cargo will be damaged but fortunately the airlinecompany revealed that no hazardous or explosive material was on board.
    Regards, Karl[/quote:2duslw51]
    For what it's worth, I read a report out of Bahrain that said the cargo was actually contracted out by DHL, and that among the cargo were belongings of the US Ambassador to Belgium, possibly including a car. Not sure why he would be shipping a car to Bahrain, sounds like some CIA stuff to me. That would explain the "US Embassy" people guarding the plane. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Tail section has been removed last Friday.

They will start to unload cargo during the weekend and it looks like unloading the cargo goes smoothly because they have "cut" open the upperdeck to start the unloading pn this deck. I think, if weather permits and no unexpected difficulties, the plane will be gone by next weekend.
    It would not surprise me if they would transport all pieces to a remote area or warehouse somewhere on the airport.
    They definately need that runway, not specifically for the take offs on RWY 20 but for the arrivals on 02 if the wind is coming from the east.
    Keep you updated as good as I can.
    Regards, Karl

Any word on the cause of the crash yet?

Goodevening, goodafternoon,
    Any word on the cause of the crash yet ?
    What we know is that Belgian Civil Authorities, NTSB and Boeing-people are investigating the cause but it seems to early to comment on the incident. There are rumours going around about the cause but I am not well placed to comment on them as my technical knowledge is too small. There are some rumours going around but they are based on a few things which were already public which are :
    1. No trust reversers used
    2. An English spotter heard 2 loud bangs when the plane was rolling for take off
    3. A traffic controller saw a flame coming out of the engines
    I don't make speculations. Wait for the results.
    Regards, Karl