Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with this plane??

What's wrong with this plane??

So does anyone else besides me see something a bit off with this plane? Forget the end of runway rotation. I wonder if someone is without a job today?

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6247693

Re: What's wrong with this plane??

Yep, some kind of panel is open.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Yep, some kind of panel is open.
    Sorry try again ;)

really low flap settings...
    "lol retart"

It seems that the pilot already started retracting the landing gear, even though the plane must have rotated about a second before the shot was taken. Nothing wrong with that, but somewhat unusual. I'm also surprised that he didn't use more flaps. He'll probably get sacked, but hey, at least the photographers/spotters love him! Haha. :D

Greets,
    -Omar S.

I would go with Omar's guess. I noticed the main gear looking like they were already on their way up. That is probably too low to raise the gear. As I understand, you need to develop a clear positive rate of climb before you raise them.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Oh. Yeah. Flaps, who needs em?

I'm guessing he's raising the gear to make sure it doesn't clip landing lights or fences or buildings in front of him.

Also, the panel I was talking about is under the "A"...what is that?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Under the 'A' in the Arrow logo? That's just a landing light that flips out.

Here's a better view of them:
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6241549

I've heard of military pilots retracting the gear early because it looks cool, but they were flying fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I would go with Omar's guess. I noticed the main gear looking like they were already on their way up. That is probably too low to raise the gear. As I understand, you need to develop a clear positive rate of climb before you raise them.
    At that point, positive rate or not, raising the gear is the best way to ensure you don't hit anything and nose the airplane over. It's awfully deceptive from the cockpit because you're sitting a good one or two hundred feet above the landing gear. Bottom line is that you don't rotate that late on the takeoff roll, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Your understanding is exactly correct. As a general rule, in jet aircraft, once a positive rate of climb is established, the gear comes up. The AFM and/or company GOM dictates the specifics (and minimum altitude if one exists) for each aircraft and operator. The procedure changes slightly in smaller prop aircraft since we don't have V2 (takeoff safety speed) to worry about. Since we're usually at a speed just after rotation that will allow for a landing after an immediate power failure, we wait until a positive rate is established and no usable runway remains before raising the gear (slower, but safer).
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Is the gear in transit yet? It doesn't look like the inner doors are open.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by jran225
    It seems that the pilot already started retracting the landing gear, even though the plane must have rotated about a second before the shot was taken. Nothing wrong with that, but somewhat unusual. I'm also surprised that he didn't use more flaps. He'll probably get sacked, but hey, at least the photographers/spotters love him! Haha. :D
    i don't think he was retracting the gear yet, besides the gear doors are still closed. the flaps are set to what, 3* though? that's brilliant! was this spellman? contrary to popular belief, the use of flaps has a definitive impact on the length of your takeoff roll...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I agree, I think its just the angle of the shot the gear wouldn't move until the doors are open
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I gotta agree with cancidas, the slats are deployed but a VERY miniumal flap setting, I'm sure that contributed to his long takeoff roll.

Here is another (great) shot of the same exact aircraft, look at the differance in the flap settings.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6240859

I have a friend who is a DC-10/MD-10 Captain for Fedex, I am e-mailing him the original photo and asking him about DC-10 takeoff flap settings ?

Stay Tuned

LGA777

It’s the flaps not the gear. The gear is not in transition, the angle makes the mains look like they were going up but they are down. The flap setting is very minimal...not sure why but looked very risky to me.