Thread: New read/unread icons on forum main page

New read/unread icons on forum main page

I see that we've got new icons for showing which forums, which is kind of neat, but they're similar enough in color that it's not easy to tell at a glance which icon is being used (at least on my uncalibrated laptop). Would it be possible to make the icons even more distinct so that it's so very easy to just look and be able to see what's new and what's not?
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Re: New read/unread icons on forum main page

We're working on several "little things" like that, and this is something that we are trying out. I'm glad you posted this.

The red versus the gray, I think, is distinct. I think the problem is that the planes are very thin and it is tough for that red to stand out.

I'll try to modify is somehow.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    The red versus the gray, I think, is distinct. I think the problem is that the planes are very thin and it is tough for that red to stand out.
    I agree - it is tough to tell the difference, probably due to the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    That could be it; all I really noticed (hey, I'm exhausted from walking a whole parade backwards!) is that it was difficult to tell the two apart, without really taking the time to think about whether it was the colors, the size, or a combination of the two.

Have you considered maybe using just an outline of a plane for "no new posts" and the filled-in one (either in red or gray) for "new posts"? That would be quite visually distinct, I think.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

I made one quick change to them. I realized that part of the visual issue was that the "read gray" ones also have the same shadowing that the "unread red" one had. So, I removed the shadow from the "read gray" version.

This should make it at least a little bit better, until I find another graphic or photo to convert.

Keep in mind that any graphic I use will be very small. With a plane, to include the whole wing means making the fuselage look tiny regardless of it's size.

Ideas are welcome! Thanks for your input so far.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

The gray is much better than the black. At least on my work laptop.