Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK - Burger King 11/04

JFK - Burger King 11/04

My friend Andrew and I decided to do some spotting at JFK today and let's just say we had a bad experience at BK. We were there for a good hour and a half actually spotting - not including waiting 30 minutes for my lunch, which they somehow managed to SKIP MY ORDER - when two NCPD officers came by. They asked my friend Andrew about what he was doing there, along with what I was doing. Andrew also mentioned to both officers that he was in the USAF as a crew chief in AC. The officer I was talking to asked me how often I come to Kennedy and I told them it's been nearly a year and that I came up because I wanted to see some different traffic than what I get at PHL. They saw my ID - valid DL (and questioned me why I had another DL in my wallet, which was my expired one, which I never seemed to take out), and Andrew showed his military ID. I asked the officer who was talking to me if we were allowed to stay and they said that we were okay and they proceeded to leave.

Now, here's the kicker - less than two minutes pass and another NCPD patrol car pulls up. This guy decides to be a pompous ace hole and told us we had to leave. I told him that we had someone stop by and said we were okay. He then proceeds to tell us to look at the call he responded to, asked rudely if Andrew's car matched the description they had (color, type of car, Jersey plates and STATING THE PLATES). I said yeah thats true and he responded with "yeah you should leave while I'm here." And leave we did. We ended up heading back home.

So yeah, this was my first encounter with ANY law enforcement around Kennedy. The first two cops seemed very courteous and I was about to tell them what was flying over when to further get them to thinking "oh they are just plane geeks". There was a man who was looking from his hotel room (the hotel next to BK) and I presume he was the one who called the cops on us. Whatever... the light kinda sucked at that hour anyway and I got to go flying in the morning, so the weekend wasn't a total washout.

Re: JFK - Burger King 11/04

They should seriously run a story about this on NBC or something to introduce aviation photography hobby to the public...
    Sad sad sad... :(

Sorry to see you had a problem, Steve. I can't remember the last time NCPD gave any of us a hard time spotting. Probably this guy was just having a bad day...

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"

Josh May and I got a bit of a hassle from a NCPD cop a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't ask us to leave; he just took our info and told us that what we were doing wasn't a good idea. Then he left and we didn't get bothered again.

Intresting, the guys that patrol that district are generally pretty on the up and up about us as we have all been going out around the area to spot for so long. Probably just a bad day for the guy.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

That's extremely surprising considering that not a few minutes earlier, there were other NCPD cops that told you everything was fine. It's also surprising since like Moose pointed out, we haven't had any problems with the NCPD for the last few weeks or months even (dare I say...). I know my encounters with NCPD have been both productive and extremely professional, and the guys I have dealt with have been great and very accepting of the hobby. Sorry you had a bad experience Steven, but I hope that you'll try JFK again and hopefully with better luck.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

It's unfortunate that so many on their force seem to have an understanding, and that some others choose to go their own way. I guess he missed that meeting that his fellow officers were in.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    It's unfortunate that so many on their force seem to have an understanding, and that some others choose to go their own way. I guess he missed that meeting that his fellow officers were in.
    Sounds like the same dude when we were at Firestone two weeks ago. Remember the first cops were cool and that one officer who showed up later was giving his own officers a hard time about us? I'd bet real money it was the same officer. It is very unfortunate that one officer is going out of his way to give us a hard time while others in his own dept act professional and courteous. I think if it happens again it might be advisable to get his name and badge number and speak to his commanding officer; he's not representing his squad very well and unless requested by the property owner he really doesn't have the right to demand us to leave if we are not breaking the law.

Yes, to me it's not so much that he asked spotters to leave, it's the he has no problem disregarding his fellow officers' comments just minutes prior. I find that to be disappointing.

>My friend Andrew and I decided to do some spotting at JFK today and let's just say we had a bad experience at BK. <

Could have been worse. That annoying BK King could have came out and chased you around!!
    :lol:

Hahaha about the King!

Seriously though, I do want to come back to Kennedy and LGA more often - it's the fact that my trip is now an hour longer each way since I no longer go to Rutgers.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

[Sounds like the same dude when we were at Firestone two weeks ago. Remember the first cops were cool and that one officer who showed up later was giving his own officers a hard time about us? I'd bet real money it was the same officer. It is very unfortunate that one officer is going out of his way to give us a hard time while others in his own dept act professional and courteous. I think if it happens again it might be advisable to get his name and badge number and speak to his commanding officer; he's not representing his squad very well and unless requested by the property owner he really doesn't have the right to demand us to leave if we are not breaking the law.
    Tommy if he has recieved a call or calls from people it means these people are probably nervous about our presence. So yes he does have the right to ask you to leave. It's private property. I think under the circumstances (and we all have experienced this at other locations and other airports). Best thing is to leave and go back at a later time. Your telling me if your at EWR and Elizabeth PD tells you to leave your going to tell them your doing nothing wrong and he has no right to ask you to leave? I'll talk to my friend who is a Sgt in the 4th but I would hope we continue to obey LO. I don't think he is "going out of his way to hassle us" Remember that he is responding to a call and if he makes a decision to ask someone to move along he is doing it for a reason. If the person in the motel is in fact the one who called he would just have gotten back on the phone if he saw people doing something he deemed suspicious still there.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick is right in the sense that we cannot resist a police officer's commands like that. At least, we shouldn't. we can always follow up or report an incident after the fact, but the best method of dealing with it is certainly to do what they say.

However, if we are customers of an establishment and not doing anything illegal, I think that us leaving the premises is really up to management.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

However, if we are customers of an establishment and not doing anything illegal, I think that us leaving the premises is really up to management.
    Not exactly Phil. If say for the sake of argument that the person or persons in the motel overlooking the lot get nervous from our actions and call. If local LO makes a decision we can stay that is great but if like in this situation he either doesn't want to deal with it or is a hard on and tells us to leave he is the final say not the property owner. Whether we are patrons or not.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I see what you're saying. Though it might not realistically apply, if we do specifically have the Burger King manager's PERMISSION, then that does override the police officer's request.

That gives us permission to be there, practicing what is legal. The police officer requesting us to then leave would be like a cop telling us to leave our friend's apartment because we someone outside knows and dislikes us playing poker or something.