Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone see the pilot iphone commercial?

Re: Anyone see the pilot iphone commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    Informant, I think you should speak with pictures as you are misunderstood less that way....Chuckle chuckle wink wink!

I had the pleasure of meeting his dad and it was a complete honor. You show some really nice toys in those shots... The Tomcat model and the others. Sorry to hear about your problem of getting high tho ;) .

Thanks for the eye candy :borat:

P.S. You should keep off the sweet air when in the right seat...never know when the pilot needs to take a leak (another joke!....do not want you to think I am jabbing you) :mrgreen: <-me green with envy!
    Fred it has nothing to do with sweet air. As you know when you fly you are exposed to radiation, ionizing radiation in fact. You know the kind that causes cancer, kills cells, and causes brain damage?

I knew there was a reason that OLD pilots looked OLD! :lol:

I thought that it was all the radiation from Chernobyl that hit the ground water and lifted into the upper atmosphere! I figured that it was kind of like sky wave propagation with radiowaves.... yaknow, the radiation go stuck between two different layers and that made it bounce up and down around the upper atmosphere as it goes around the world until the sun sheds it outer skin in a huge firey emp discharge that will end human existence and blow the air and water into outerspace 200k years before the earth can sustain life again (of course with a new magnetic north).

Thanks for clearing that up Tom :borat: :lol:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

oh come on tbird must we always do this?

fred almost its his grandpa.his dad passed away.

mirrodie...I understand what ya mean, iphones don't do aanything really, but weather.com does use noaa weather I believe.

signs is on TNT

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Informant, thanks for seeing my point.

Great flick, thanks for the heads up.

Halloween was on earlier!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by PHL Approach
    My question is who... who in their right mind that is involved in the industry uses weather.com's radar!
    Beleive it or not your own airline Ed. the interactive radar feature on Weather.com has become extremely accurate. Several people here can attest to that fact actually.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

[quote=hiss srq]
    Quote Originally Posted by "PHL Approach":52507
    My question is who... who in their right mind that is involved in the industry uses weather.com's radar!
    Beleive it or not your own airline Ed. the interactive radar feature on Weather.com has become extremely accurate. Several people here can attest to that fact actually.[/quote:52507]

Ryan, our data is someone elses that I guess weather.com started using. Weather.com has become good in what the past month? When I would use it in Middle school it was crap. So I guess what your saying is it has gotten much better in the past few years?

Indeed, it has become EXTREMELY accurate. We have used it to make a several accurate calls on weather and flights during times of concern.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Ok, so Bryce is a real pilot, nobody here seems to have doubted that. But what is questionable is how the Apple ad implies that the iPhone is some kind of super-cool device pilots use when in fact all it does is access the internet, which can be done with a variety of devices in alot of places, including at the gate while waiting to board a flight. In fact, pretty soon even us mortal non-pilots will be able to access weather.com on a plane too. If you see the storm's passed, knock on the cockpit door because maybe the pilots don't have an iPhone and could use the update.

And then you have a fully loaded 757 with every passenger thinking you are a terrorist while they are cluching plastic spoons ready to pull you still beating heart from your chest. No thanks.. I will be snapping away at the sqall line that just past from my window seat while looking to find the bar maid....(cough) um, Lady with the wings on her chest. :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Lol Fred I didn't mean for anyone to seriously do that, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone does thanks to the ad. Just pointed out that there's alot of ways to get Weather Channel information even if you don't have an iPhone. I think the BS calls here were not as to whether or not Bryce and his story were real, but what Apple was trying to imply with the ad.

Being I was the one to call Bravo Sierra, I think "Nonstop 2AUH" has hit the nail on the head.
    No disrespect was meant towards Bryce, the BS call was not about the pilot but the process.

In my office, we have the US Map with radar overlay up on a big-screeen so we can see where the weather is at all times. I have had aircraft sitting on the ground in ISP trying to get to TEB or HPN and even though the rain has stopped, that doesn't mean they can just go. NY Center controls departures, and when aircraft can move.

Others have noted here, the fear is that non-aviation people will see this commercial, and start a revolt when they are told they have a 2 hour gate hold for weather, yet they can see via their iphone/ wi-fi internet / look out the terminal window, etc. that the storm has passed.

I just think Apple was a little irresponsible on this one, that's all.

Aren't we all taking this a bit too seriously? It's a commercial, it's not supposed to be accurate, it's supposed to sell a product.
    Nick S. @ EWR

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by NcSchu
    Aren't we all taking this a bit too seriously? It's a commercial, it's not supposed to be accurate, it's supposed to sell a product.

Good point, but I enjoy a good, well thoguht out clever commercial
    Some are extremely cerebral and often are the best.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187