Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Biggest Plane That ISP Can Handle?

The Biggest Plane That ISP Can Handle?

Hey Guys:

I have always wanted to know whats the biggest plane ISP can handle? I have heard rumors of a DL 757 landing there once and an even bigger joke of a UA 744 landing there. I am aware that rwy 24/6 is about 7,000ft so I am guessing maybe the 764 is the biggest? or maybe an A330? Ill leave that up to you.
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: The Biggest Plane That ISP Can Handle?

A light 747 can def. land there.

Seen here is a photo of a 747 taking off at ISP, with the mountain range of Roosevelt Field in the distance.
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1233709/L/
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Seen here is a photo of a 747 taking off at ISP, with the mountain range of Roosevelt Field in the distance.
    Wow it's so funny how ISP looks a lot like the state of WA.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

mirrodie:

Are you sure thats the right picture ;) ISP has no mountains, at least not that I know of!!!!
    -Bobby Catone

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Apparently you've never seen Tommy's favorite movie, the historically accurate film 'Pearl Harbor'? ;)

Glad you have a sense of humor :mrgreen:
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

My first visit to ISP was prior to moving to New York in 1984 doing a 1 hour turn around on a Northeastern (my employer at the time) 204 seat DC-8-62 from FLL. I fondly remember during taxi to/from the gate the outboard engines hanging out over the grass and the visible jet blast from same.

Eastern operated 757's to Floirda during I believe the late 80's and I know of a Pan Am A-310 diverting their inbound to JFK with a low fuel emergency back in I think the 1990's.

I hope this helps a little ?

LGA777

I have pictures of the 757 AF2 at ISP
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

For the 757 ISP is cake. Runway 6/24 is the same length as LGA (7000') , so what can land there can land at ISP. We know that the B757, B767-2/-3/-4 all have landed at LGA. Runway-wise the 747 can do ISP, but I doubt the taxiways are wide enough for the wingspan.

The runway at ISP is actually TWO feet longer than LGA's, and as mentioned, LGA can handle many things.

On a 7,000 foot runway, a 747 can land, but with the extra weight of fuel, might not be able to take off again.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The runway at ISP is actually TWO feet longer than LGA's
    LGA's runways are 7000 feet, ISP's 6/24 is actually 7006 feet.
    Runway wise, ISP can handle the big planes, and now with the new Veteran's Concourse, the terminal can too, but I don't think that the old terminal that was in it's place could handle the big planes, since it was one story...like the Delta Connection gate at the other end of the terminal probably could not handle the 757 or 767.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Would a Airbus A340-300 have the same problem as the 747 ? due to its long wingspan. I am sure if it did land there, then it probably couldn't get back in the air right? Would sure as hell be interesting to see a 343 climb out over Vets highway!!
    -Bobby Catone

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan
    now with the new Veteran's Concourse, the terminal can too, but I don't think that the old terminal that was in it's place could handle the big planes, since it was one story...like the Delta Connection gate at the other end of the terminal probably could not handle the 757 or 767.
    They didn't replace the old terminal, it is still there. They did replace one of the concourse wings but the west wing is still there.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Simple because ISP's runways are 7000 feet is no indication it can handle a large plane. While the length of the runway can handle anything up to a 747, and yes A340s to, weight might be an issue. I don't know if the runway or the taxi ways were built to support the weight of these larger planes which may crack the cement. Remember SXM's runway is only 7054 feet and that airport gets 747s and A340s.

The largest plane to land at ISP was a PanAm A300 that declared a fuel emergency in 1991. Since it was right before PanAm went belly up the fuel company at ISP refused to give PanAm any credit and the pilot had to use his own AMEX card to fuel the plane before it left for JFK.

Tommy hit the nail onthe head as far as runways and taxiway support goes. On 9/11 AF1 was at SRQ and at the time they had 7000 useable. They also supported DC-10's L1011's A-330's and an infamous (to us locals) Atlas 747 charter there once.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

The FAA chart lists 300K as the max weight for 6/24, so a 752 seems to be the limit.