Thread: Even a Pilot Thinks It’s Time to Crack Down on Airlines

Even a Pilot Thinks It’s Time to Crack Down on Airlines

NY Times:
    Even a Pilot Thinks It’s Time to Crack Down on Airlines
    By JOE SHARKEY
    Published: July 10, 2007

AIRLINE pilots tend to be independent, cantankerous and genetically disinclined to welcome additional regulation of their profession, which they already think is overregulated.

So it’s probably not good news for domestic airlines that a pilot like Vance Atkinson, 64, who spent 30 years flying for a major airline, is saying it’s now time for the federal government to do something about the increasing number of passengers being stranded on parked airplanes for long periods during bad weather or other delay-inducing events.

“There is not going to be an easy answer, but a start is to have hard and fast rules,” said Mr. Atkinson, who retired from a major airline at the mandatory age of 60 and now flies corporate jets. “The government needs to say, three hours,” he said, and then allow passengers off a stranded plane. More...
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"
    The Times has been beating the drum on this for months. I have a news alert set up for "air traffic control" and I get an alert almost every Sunday when the Travel section is published.