Thread: Chat with the FBI!

Chat with the FBI!

Phil/Matt

If you think this should be in the general forum, please feel free to move it!

The FBI were invited in to our company on Monday to talk about cyber security. They also brought with them an agent from the Counter-terrorism unit in the Newark office. After the presentation, I took the chance to talk to him about the hobby and had an interesting discussion.
    I'm not going to name the agent, as I never asked his permission to do so, and I don't want someone (i.e. not one of the regulars on here) cruising by the NYCA site and throwing the name out there, which is something that I am not even going to do.

He is well aware of the hobby of plane spotting and all it's associated spin-offs like photography etc. He understands that it is just a hobby and that we are not a threat.

He said that right after 9/11 they were getting calls about people at airports making notes and taking photos and they didn't know anything about the hobby and were quick off the mark to come out and give people a hard time.

He said that most police departments around the country are aware of the hobby now, but they are still going to come out and check you out. He said that occasionally you may get someone who is not normally assigned to the airport that gives you a hard time because they are unaware of the hobby, but once they run your details you should be OK.

Hope this means some more people will venture out to EWR now.

Got to get that Jet Airways 777-300ER come August!

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    For me, the certainty of ball-breakage still isn't worth the gas, tolls, and traffic still ain't worth it. I'll stick with KJFK and KLGA and be content.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    For me, the certainty of ball-breakage still isn't worth the gas, tolls, and traffic still ain't worth it. I'll stick with KJFK and KLGA and be content.
    I'll be there Gordon, haha. Oh, and don't forget Qatar in 2 weeks. The tolls is what stops me from going over to JFK more often.

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82
    Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    I'll be there Gordon, haha. Oh, and don't forget Qatar in 2 weeks. The tolls is what stops me from going over to JFK more often.
    I just realized Qatar comes in at 18:55, I thought she came in around 20:00. Her ETA of 18:55 is awesome! :)