Thread: Proving to an officer that I'm into aviation

Proving to an officer that I'm into aviation

I always wonder what kind of proof should i have to show a police officer that im into aviation in case i was to get stopped for taking pictures, even though i havent been hassled for at least a couple of years. Want kind of proof should i carry to let the police know that im aviation is my enthusi?
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I would think you don't need to do that. Just be totally truthful in telling him what you are doing and show them your ID when asked. Very simple. If an officer attemps to interrogate you just answer his questions. Nothing more is needed.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Exactly, just answer honestly what they are asking you. There really isn't any "proof" that can convince them your into aviation. Pictures, publications or similar really doesn't prove anything. Officers are trained to pick up lies and nervous behavior that my indicate your up to something. I've often seen them ask the same question multiple times to see if you answer any different from the first time. Just remember to obey the laws that are out there and you should be fine.

Ok thanks very much. i get worried about it because i got arrested in early april on the subway for a wanted warrant for failure to show up for court ontime to pay a summons and i was told that i cant get in trouble by any cop within a six month period. but tahnks for the tips though
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    i got arrested in early april on the subway for a wanted warrant for failure to show up for court ontime to pay a summons
    Yea that will happen..

I would suggest you be very nice to the PO so he just checks your ID and goes about his business. If he does ask you to leave private property do it ASAP and with a nice smile.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I carry my badges for just this reason. Normally they just glance at the badge and than go. This did not work last time though when me Gordo, Josh, Eric and a few other went out though last time.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    i got arrested in early april on the subway for a wanted warrant for failure to show up for court ontime to pay a summons
    Yea that will happen..

I would suggest you be very nice to the PO so he just checks your ID and goes about his business. If he does ask you to leave private property do it ASAP and with a nice smile.
    Now what if an officer ... or other security type ... asks you to leave *public* property ... or at least to stop taking pictures ... even though he/she has no technical right to do so from what I've read in this forum?

Do you stand your ground ... pleasantly and respectfully explaining your rights ... or do you "cease and desist" and move on? Isn't it possible some law enforcement types may consider their word to be law ... wherever and whenever?

This might conceivably happen when others are looking on "to see what happens." Saving face in front of others can be a factor with some law enforcement types as I've learned through personal experience. They also want to be seen by others as doing their job to safeguard America.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Exactly, just answer honestly what they are asking you. There really isn't any "proof" that can convince them your into aviation. Pictures, publications or similar really doesn't prove anything. Officers are trained to pick up lies and nervous behavior that my indicate your up to something. I've often seen them ask the same question multiple times to see if you answer any different from the first time. Just remember to obey the laws that are out there and you should be fine.
    Hmmm ... "nervous behavior" ... and I stutter on occasion ... even in non-confrontational situations. Does that make me suspicious and up to something, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock838
    Now what if an officer ... or other security type ... asks you to leave *public* property ... or at least to stop taking pictures ... even though he/she has no technical right to do so from what I've read in this forum?

Do you stand your ground ... pleasantly and respectfully explaining your rights ... or do you "cease and desist" and move on? Isn't it possible some law enforcement types may consider their word to be law ... wherever and whenever?

This might conceivably happen when others are looking on "to see what happens." Saving face in front of others can be a factor with some law enforcement types as I've learned through personal experience. They also want to be seen by others as doing their job to safeguard America.
    If it is truly a public location, such as Planeview Park, McNeil Park or Frank M. Charles Park, the cops have absolutely no right to make you move on or stop what you're doing. You have no reason to have to "cease and desist" from completely legal activities, and if the cops feel the need to save face then that's their problem. Be polite, and, as you say, "pleasantly and respectfully" explain the fact that you are doing nothing wrong and that you intend to stay. There is no reason to get defensive, hostile or aggressive if you are doing nothing wrong. Using this methodology, I have never been forced to leave a public area, even when the cops very clearly believed that their word was law.

Josh

[quote
    If it is truly a public location, such as Planeview Park, McNeil Park or Frank M. Charles Park, the cops have absolutely no right to make you move on or stop what you're doing. You have no reason to have to "cease and desist" from completely legal activities, and if the cops feel the need to save face then that's their problem. Be polite, and, as you say, "pleasantly and respectfully" explain the fact that you are doing nothing wrong and that you intend to stay. There is no reason to get defensive, hostile or aggressive if you are doing nothing wrong. Using this methodology, I have never been forced to leave a public area, even when the cops very clearly believed that their word was law.

Josh[/quote]

Josh,

This is exactly the sort of input I've been looking for! THANKS!

Mike (shamrock838)