Thread: Salon Asks, Is Aviation Photography Allowed?

Salon Asks, Is Aviation Photography Allowed?

Over a year old but I don't think this was posted before.

The million-dollar questions are: Is it a violation of law to take photographs at airports? And under whose jurisdiction does the matter fall?

"No, it's not against the law," says Anne Davis, a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) spokeswoman. When asked about jurisdiction, Davis describes TSA as the overseer of all airport security matters, including the supervision of local law enforcement. "The buck stops with us," she says, adding that the agency has no specific policy with regard to picture taking, other than asking people not to tape or photograph screening apparatus.
    I then presented the issue to Phil Orlandella, the media relations director for Boston's Logan International Airport. ...
    "Who controls security, TSA or the local police?" he says. "They both do, it's that simple. And no, it's not against any rules to take pictures, inside or outside, period. If anyone tells you otherwise, that's a bunch of baloney."
    http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/200 ... epilot173/

Interesting read and nice to see some clarification.
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

I'm gonna print this out and the next time a cop asks, just give it to him.
    "lol retart"

As for giving it to cops, I would only give it to them if they say it's illegal....not just because they showed up.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As Phil pointed out a cop asking what you’re doing is totally different then saying it’s illegal. Just giving this to a law enforcement officer might be perceived as "copping" (excuse the pun) an attitude. I have to say as time has past I can't remember the last time an officer has approached me in an abusive manner. Whether this has something to do with the time that has passed since 9/11 or they are use to us I just don't know.

We've said it before as long as you’re not interfering or trespassing where your spotting most people leave you be.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i was recetly taking a few pix with someone down by the brooklyn bridge. two NYPD officers approached us and asked if we were taking pix of the bridge (which is illegal.) when i said no they simply asked to see the pix in the camera. after reviwing those which had a few aviation photos there they left us alone.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Its not illegal to take a picture of the Brooklyn Bridge.

I realize you might get stopped, and even prevented..and also that the Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority has been successful at baring some photography, but technically, the Brooklyn Bridge should not be a problem.
    "Keep 'em Flying"