Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush in Town Today?

Bush in Town Today?

Mel and I were sitting in Central Park snacking on food we got from Pick A Bagel when we heard a helicopters.

We looked up to see two Presidential Sikorsky's and three Chinooks at about 1:30pm.

Anyone know if Bush was here?

Unrelated, but we were at home sitting on the couch and there was an NYPD Agusta A-119 Koala, N318PD, was circling over our Astoria compound for a while.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I noticed a Chinook flying over the East River just before 2 pm.

Me and Matt spotted that. No one could figure out what was going on past recognizing them. I checked approach freq. and they were not on there.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    was two SH-3s and three CH-46s, at least that's what i think i saw. phil, are you sure you they were chinooks? the USN/ USMC doesn't fly them, so my guess was the -46. they look alike in profile, so i understood why i too said chinook at first.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Could have been 47 or 46. I don't know what POTUS flies with.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

They were def 46's. Very standard President crew with 3 dark green ch-46's and some SH-3's with the green and white. Hope they didn't block the sun too long to mess up your tan. :)
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

From my view they were way to far out to see but When me Matt and Ron spotted them they were zipping around the empire state building. I wonder what was going on though because when I was leaving LGA there were a pair of motorcades down by shuttle arrival waiting for some important people.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I was over at Floyd Bennett and noticed a C-130 came into JFK in the early afternoon; apart from that, I didn't see anything special.

Sometimes it seems these choppers come by a week or so ahead of time. Maybe there'll be a visit next week or something like that?
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Neither Bush nor Cheney were in town today and I can't find anything about them visiting anytime soon. Could have been a movie shoot or something.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Neither Bush nor Cheney were in town today and I can't find anything about them visiting anytime soon. Could have been a movie shoot or something.
    maybe not today, sunday but there is a TFR posted for tuesday so get ready guys.

Quote Originally Posted by AOPA ePILOT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    AOPA ePilot Special Airspace Bulletin April 20, 2007
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

A special notice to pilots in the New York City area

==> ATTENTION PILOTS <==

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFR OVER NEW YORK CITY ON TUESDAY
    AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in and near New York,
    New York, that the FAA has issued a notam restricting flight in the
    area during President Bush's planned visit on Tuesday, April 24.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Oh. Cool.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Here it is...

FDC NOTAM 7/8816 has been released for the New York, NY area on 04/24/07.

A 12NM TFR centered on the LGA326004.6 prohibits GA operations at Teterboro/TEB, New York LaGuardia/LGA and all Manhattan Heliports from 1210L (1610z) until 1945L (2345z) on 04/24/07. Please note that Newark/EWR falls outside of the 12NM TFR however its close proximity to the TFR might prohibit GA operations if using certain runway configurations.

A pair of 7NM TFRs centered on the JFK331000.7 prohibit GA operations at New York Kennedy Intl/JFK from 1145L (1545z) until 1250L (1650z) and again from 1905L (2305z) until 2010L (0010z) on 04/24/07.

A TFR which encompasses the New York Class B Airspace has additional restrictions as specified in the NOTAM between the 7NM/12NM and the outer boundaries of the Class B Airspace from 1145L (1545z) until 2010L (0010z).

Definitely a POTUS TFR...actually this should mean AF1 @ JFK between 1145 and 2010. Cam up!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    From ABC's The Note regarding Tuesday's schedule:
    President Bush delivers 1:20 pm ET remarks on No Child Left Behind reauthorization at Harlem Village Academy Charter School, and at 6:00 pm ET attends a private Republican National Committee Dinner in New York City.

The POTUS aerial motorcade is typically made up of VH-3s and VH-46s from HMX-1, based at Quantico. The squadron also operates VH-60s and CH-53s. When I happened upon a dress rehersal for a Presidential visit in Manassas, VA a couple of months ago, it was 2 VH-3s, a CH-46, and a VH-46.

C-40 departed LGA today as i was walking in, and i saw 2 C-130s when i was at JFK earlier in the day.

I did not see any of it today. Departed at 0642 for CLT. Bummer!