Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Major storm to impact Northeast...

Well, it's certainly affecting traffic patterns at the three airports. At JFK, they're using ILS 13L for landings and LGA is ILS 13. When was the last time we've seen this happen?

The winds are definitely picking up here. They're now saying the peak winds will be between 3 and 9pm.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

It is DME to 13 but it was going on last night as well while I was there picking the GF up from work and such. Pretty rare.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Had a wedding today in Norwood, NJ. Wife doesn't want to chance it. Getting reports on heavy ponding on every roadway.

Be safe.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    it was an interesting drive in to work, i was passing everyone on the BQE but this may have been the first time that i actually drove the limit. there's lots of water out there... really glad i work inside!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    it was an interesting drive in to work, i was passing everyone on the BQE but this may have been the first time that i actually drove the limit. there's lots of water out there... really glad i work inside!
    Not like the old says working a bus. We both would have been in the middle of the mess.

Stay safe and dry.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I flew in and out of JFK yesterday in the mess. Coming home, we landed on ILS 13L, which is not common for a straight-in approach. Weaving in and out of serious storm cells botched around the city, fighting hard rain, high winds and a 200-foot ceiling, it was amazingly smooth. Big thanks to my talented and professional crew!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil --

Did that approach take you straight over lower Manhattan?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I flew in and out of JFK yesterday in the mess. Coming home, we landed on ILS 13L, which is not common for a straight-in approach. Weaving in and out of serious storm cells botched around the city, fighting hard rain, high winds and a 200-foot ceiling, it was amazingly smooth. Big thanks to my talented and professional crew!
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I'm not sure if I went over Lower Manhattan, as I couldn't see down, but after looking at my path on FlightAware after I got home, too, I definitely went over Manhattan perpendicularly minutes before landing.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well I had a two hour delay today. How odd for the middle of April!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I'm not sure if I went over Lower Manhattan, as I couldn't see down, but after looking at my path on FlightAware after I got home, too, I definitely went over Manhattan perpendicularly minutes before landing.

Thats great. We used to see that on rare occasions over the years in good weather - but then "rare" became "never". I used to love watching that configuration from lower manhattan. I can remember seeing a Pan Am 747 perpendicular and beneath the LGA approach over Brooklyn.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    that approach to JFK is really rare, but only in bad wx. i'm still trying to figure out what approach brings traffic low over my hosue in northern brooklyn. it's definately no LGA traffic...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

[quote=Tom_Turner]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":02363

Thats great. We used to see that on rare occasions over the years in good weather - but then "rare" became "never". I used to love watching that configuration from lower manhattan. I can remember seeing a Pan Am 747 perpendicular and beneath the LGA approach over Brooklyn.

Tom[/quote:02363]

Over the summer I saw Wunala Dreaming flying over the city when I was down by 42nd street. I imagine that is the approach you are talking about?

[quote=Iberia A340-600][quote="Tom_Turner":a3402]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":a3402

Tom[/quote:a3402]

Over the summer I saw Wunala Dreaming flying over the city when I was down by 42nd street. I imagine that is the approach you are talking about?[/quote:a3402]

Hi Gordon.

For a spotter that rarely flies or has much interest in ATC, I am not good at estimating/translating the altitude. I've certainly seen JFK traffic and EWR traffic over Manhattan (or "close") before, but the configuration I was referring to has the JFK traffic significantly "low". Easily reading titles, and such..again, flying *beneath* and perpedicular to the LGA approach over Brooklyn. Actually if that approach was ever used in good weather now, I can imagine it scaring some folks with the heavies so low in post 911 times.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Hey Tom,

Wunala was flying relatively high and I'm sure it was easier to tell what it was due to her red coloring all over!

I'm assuming by low you mean close to the altitude that the LGA traffic usually flies over the city?