Thread: My Summer Vacation

My Summer Vacation

Some of you know that in addition to aviation, my other big interest is auto racing. For the last 17 years, I've been going to the NASCAR races at Pocono Raceway. Earlier this month, for the first time, I had my DSLR, and I thought I'd share a few photos from the weekend:

On pit road:

Playing with a little panning action:

Race day pit stop, from my seat in the stands:

During Friday practice, one of the ARCA series cars spun in the last corner and backed it into the wall. I was down at that end of pit road, heard the tire squeal, and started shooting (thanks to the 100-400L):

Of course, we're an aviation site, so what day at the races would be complete without a shot of the Medivac helicopter:

I'll be back there in July, hopefully working with an ARCA team, so we'll see what I have to share then...

That is some really cool stuff, Moose!! Keep em comin.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Awesome Moose! When will we see you driving?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

This may be an aviation site, but you are in the photography forum.
    Do not hesitate to post more John....'specially if you got any of Tony Stewart.

KICKASS!!!!!!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Do not hesitate to post more John....'specially if you got any of Tony Stewart.
    You mean this guy?

Thanks Moose!

Go Dale Jr.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Go Ricky Bobby!

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Go Dale Jr.
    You mean this guy?

I was out at Pocono again this weekend. Spent most of Friday out on pit road, and got some more shots of cars on track, like the above 8 car, and the Air Force sponsored:

I headed down to the where they were lining up for qualifying in the afternoon, and started shooting with the basic 18-55mm lens - I left my 70-200 in the car :(

I decided to give the 100-400mm a try (most of the pros out around the cars & drivers were using 70-200mm (at least the big group of Canon users)

With the bigger lens, I got some shots as drivers were along pit wall signing autographs:

The Dodge Boys:

Terry Labonte with Tony the Tiger:

Here's one for you John K:

And Budweiser had the Clydesdales at the track - those are damn big horses
    :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    Go Ricky Bobby!
    They had a souvenir trailer for him, just like all the real drivers. I think
    NASCAR will be (or at least should be) embarrassed to be associated with this movie. "Days of Thunder" was a ridiculous movie, but the race footage was incredibly accurate, and the stories they told were all somewhat true, although they didn't all happen to one guy in one season. This Ricky Bobby think just looks stupid.

Moose great pics! I see Ford is racing the Fusion, wow not exactly what I think of a race car, but oh well.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    great stuff Moose! hey, looking forward to hearing more about it this weekend!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Yessir moose the certainly he is who i would love to be if I were a Nascar driver. Chevy, Budwiser and a Lear 60 which I certainly would love to get my hands on though the 25 is not that bad either by a long shot. Jeeze they live the life.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"